Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

1 members and 3,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating Pads

Thanks

Heating Pads

Are heating pads a good secondary heating source when placed under the tank. I already use the light for eight hours a day. I was planning on just using the pad at night and the light in the day. But i have heard the pad can burn your ball python?? Is this true or no? Because i have pressed my hand up against the pad for a couple minutes and it just feels warm. But the last thing i need is my new baby ball python being burned.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Heating Pads

Do you mean a heating pad intended for humans? Or one designed to be used on a reptile enclosure?

I have seen some people say don't use the ones made for humans, and in other places it has been said that since they usually have high, med, low settings, that is an advantage since you can at least somewhat control the heat they put out. I've never tried to use one intended for humans so I can't speak from experience on that.

If you use the ones intended for reptile cages, they can get hot enough to burn your snake, and one user on here recently posted that it malfunctioned and got so hot it cracked the glass! For these reasons, it is recommended that you always use a thermostat to control how hot the UTH gets.

Thanks

The ones intended for humans, while they will work in a pinch, are notorious for starting house fires when left on for extended periods of time. Especially when trapped between other things where the heat is less able to dissipate. I can't say I've never used them, but I can say only when absolutely necessary, and never more than a few hours.

Thanks

Under the tank heaters a pretty much a must with balls... they also NEED to be hooked to a thermostat... the ones you find in petco or wherever can get up to 120 degrees which will burn your snake... UTH help with digestion and yes are a good secondary heat source but should be used regardless if you have a light.
    snakes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

CntrlF8's post reminded me... when using any sort of UTH, make sure there is some air space so that not too much heat gets trapped. Especially under glass tanks that have the frame that keeps the glass up off the table or whatever it is on. You need to add some sort of spacer under the frame so air can circulate under there.

Thanks

I had a glass tank set on some wireweld shelves. The tank itself was on 1 inch blocks of wood, and the pad itself was plugged into a (zoomed?) reptistat (sp) We had the probe on the glass right over the pad itself, and the pad was set to low. It did very well for heating with the light on the hot end. I just caution, use a thermostat, because it does get VERY hot, and make sure to raise the tank to dissapate the heat. Also if you do plan on buying one, make sure it doesn't have auto-shut off. That sorta defeats the purpose.

Thanks

Where do i get a cheap thermostat ?? There is so much controversy....people saying dont use them and do use them ha ha.... Im just confused on what to do so i have not been using it for the past week. Is it completely necessary because it seems like a hassle to get a thermostat.
    Last edited by bjfoste1; 09-26-2007 at 01:48 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm in the same boat. I need a thermostat and don't know anything about them or even where to buy one.

Thanks

Rich at reptile basics, has tstats available. As far as being cheap, in this case its a bad idea . You get what you pay for. That being said your snakes life depends on what quality products your buying. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

A thermostat is an electronic device that plugs in between the wall and your heating devices. it has a thermometer probe attached that you place on the heating element (heat pad) and regulates the power flow to it to adjust the temperature to your desired setting. The common ones used by reptile keepers are made by Johnson Controls, Ranco, Helix, and Spyder Robotics, also known as Herpstat. You can buy them from a multitude of places, and I would recommend Rich at Reptile Basics, http://www.reptilebasics.com, for all your thermostat needs.

EDIT: And yes, it IS completely necessary if you want healthy, happy snakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast