Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,285

0 members and 3,285 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Bunny questions?

I want to get one of those baby Dwarf lionhead bunnies.
    Where could I get one and how much do they cost?
    I need some info on them. Does anybody know a good site
    or could tell me more about them please? Like how big do they get?
    Is it hard to care for them? I have a ball python ..is it ok to keep them in the same room? Is there...like any defects in them?

Thanks

Re: Bunny questions?

OMG, they look like deformed Persian cats!
    I can't say as that I've ever heard of those before... so I went looking.
    The first thing to keep in mind, like with *any* animal, is to find a *reputable*, responsible breeder... and look at many different breeders, don't just take the first one you find or the one with the cheapest price.
    If you google "lionhead rabbit" or " Oryctologus cuniculus" you will come up with a ton of info on them. Just be sure to read many different sources to be assured of getting accurate, consistent information. As with just about any animal, some of the not so great sites offering info. will not have good information and/or conflicting info.

From my understanding (I haven't had rabbits since I was a kid) they need fresh air and should not be kept indoors 24/7, however, from what I've read, that train of thought is changing.
    You'll also need to be able to provide the proper diet for them and rabbit pellets are not enough. They need fresh veggies of certain types and hay.

I would think that their care would not be that much different than any other rabbit, so if you are experienced in general rabbit care, you shouldn't have a problem, but if you're not, get to know this site. They have some good info. on keeping and caring for rabbits. I was considering getting a rabbit until I got to reading and found out just how much work they can be to feed and such.
    House Rabbit Society

I don't know that I'd keep a rabbit in the same room with my snakes, but if that is the only place you have....

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different

Thanks

My b/f's sister has a lion head rabbit. She got it from a petstore. It's pretty easy to care for like most rabbits, BUT...... *BUT* they do need to be groomed and brushed every day. They are high maintenance in the hair department! If they are not their hair will get yucky and matted and you will run into skin problems if that should happen. Also you will need to get the rabbit shaved to remove the mats.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Ok. Well i haven't found any rabbit breeders in Arizona.
    So im not really sure where to look. Maybe local pet stores?
    I heard PetSmart has them i dont know if thats a good place though
    everybody seems to hate it...why..i donno? I have a had a few rabbits before,
    so i know a few things. Im not looking to buy a really expensive one..i know thats better..but plus all the food and cage! O_O I need to keep the bunny price a little low.

Thanks

The thing with buying *any* animal from a pet store is you have absolutely no idea where the animal has been, how it was cared for, what kind of health and/or behavioral problems it might have or even what its genetics are. Pet stores are, IMO, the single *worst* place to get a pet because they buy animals from back yard breeders.
    NO pet store, especially outlet and chain stores like PetCo and PetSmart, buy animals from responsible, reputable breeders because NO respectable breeder would ever sell any of their animals to a pet store. It doesn't matter what the store tells you about the animals they sell; if they don't come with full AKC certification (if applicable), pedigree and verifiable health certificates from a reputable vet.... they're BYB animals plain and simple. Pet stores are *only* looking to turn a profit and will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to buy their "products".

If you got one from a pet store you could be looking at spending a lot of money on an animal that may very well have a whole host of health as well as behavioral problems.

If there are no reputable breeders in your state, look in the surrounding states and have it shipped if need be. Yes, it can be expensive but the bottom line is... you get what you pay for.
    If you go the cheap route, you're going to end up spending *a lot* more money at the vet's office. If you take the time to search and research and dish out the $$$ for a high quality, sound animal, you've saved yourself a lot of money, time and heartache because you *know* that animal is healthy and of good blood lines and was not inbred, thus, it is more likely to have a longer, happier life with you.

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

AKC is no guarentee of anything either. Larger breeders will have a file of papers and will send in paperwork on litters that were never born, so they have papers for whatever breed they can pass the puppies off as. The easiest examples are the "little white fluffy puppy" A small white fluffy pup can be either a maltese, poodle, bichen, pekeneise, havanese, :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:-a-poo(or other poo mix), or a couple others. The normal public will see small fluffy pup. The people will pull out whatever papers you like.
    Rabbits are no better. A underage bunny will be sold as a dwarf. A fluffy bunny sold as a angora.
    Be sure you know your breeder. Be sure you have money for vet visits, in addition to regular maintanance expenses.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "