Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

2 members and 3,116 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Confused About Thermostat and Flex Watt Wiring for Rack

Not too long from now I will be purchasing or building my own rack system. Im just really confused about one thing. I know how to connect the clips and wires to the flex watt and all of that. But what I dont understand is exactly how the probe will be able to connect to every flex watt.

I will be purchasing/building a rack system will belly heat. So if I have a rack with multiple rows like this one, and have have a separate flex watt for each row how would that work with only one probe?
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/iris-sh...tub-sizes.html

I understand that if I purchase a thermostat like this one it comes with a 6 plug outlet strip to connect each flex watt cord to, but I still dont understand how is that going to work with only one probe.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/ranco-e...pre-wired.html

The only way it seems like Id be able to make it work is if I purchased something like the hydrofarm thermostat without a probe, and connect a 6 plug outlet strip to it, after Ive already plugged in each flex watt cord to the strip.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S

Can someone try to explain this to me? Sorry if its hard to understand, I tried to explain it as clearly as possible.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Re: Confused About Thermostat and Flex Watt Wiring for Rack

The probe goes to only one of the pieces of flexwatt and reads the temperature of that piece and shuts off everything that is plugged into the 6 plug outlet strip.

The Hydrofarm t-stat like all thermostats has a probe.
    Jerry Robertson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

hops523 (12-16-2010)

Thanks
    Ohh haha ok. I understand it now, I've been trying to figure out how that worked for the longest time, I didn't know that it would shut everything else off thats plugged into the outlet. Haha and yep, I just saw that the hydrofarm also has a probe.
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hops523 For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (12-16-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    The trick is to find which flexwatt to tape it to.

Test it out towards the bottom shelf and check temps on all shelves.
    You may have to test it on a few different shelves before finding the one that keeps all tubs about the same temperature.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Ok sounds good. I think the rack will be up and running a lot sooner now. This was probably the one thing that was really holding me back.

Thanks
    Just one more quick question, I'll probably be going with a Ranco, Johnson, Helix, or Herpstat that comes prewired with everything and the 6 plug outlet. But, what if I did go with the hydrofarm, could I plug my own 6 plug outlet into it, and place the probe on one flexwatt and have it work the same way?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hops523 View Post
    Just one more quick question, I'll probably be going with a Ranco, Johnson, Helix, or Herpstat that comes prewired with everything and the 6 plug outlet. But, what if I did go with the hydrofarm, could I plug my own 6 plug outlet into it, and place the probe on one flexwatt and have it work the same way?
    Like plug in a multi-plug thing that doesn't come with it? Don't quote me on this, but as long as you don't exceed the maximum capacity of the thermostat I don't see why it wouldn't work...
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    with one rack why do you need 6 outlets anyway? Its much easier to have all the flexwatt wired together and only have 1 plug in! I bought the thermostat from BigAppleHerp and it has 3 outlets for additional racks and I really like it. It is a little loud when it clicks on and off though
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

Thanks

Most people run a continuous length of flexwatt tape from the bottom shelf to the top shelf in the rack. If I am reading you correctly, you have plans to cut the flexwatt tape to fit every shelf and wire each shelf with it's own electrical plug.

If this is the case, I would recommend that you don't do it your way. Each shelf will have a potential to have a different resistance due to many technical reasons. With that, you could have a different temperature for each shelf. Your thermostat will not be accurate for all shelves either. Then think of the possible points of failure if you are wiring each shelf independently.

Your best bet all around, would be to run one continuous length of flexwatt tape. Remember to cut the end of the flexwatt tape properly, There are a couple of different styles and each has to be cut properly to make it work properly. Also remember to tape the very end of the flexwatt tape. You will have 110 volt AC at the end. That could be dangerous.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks
    Oh ok, I kind of understand what you all are saying. But how exactly would I wire them all together? That was my original plan, but I dont know how Id go about it. It just seems like Id have to cut it to make everything work. Does anyone have pictures or a video to show how to do it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast