Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

1 members and 3,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 or just 1

Thanks

2 or just 1

I have a 20 gallon tank laying around that I use to feed my ball python in. Im thinking about getting a leopard gecko but I was wondering if I should get 2 females or if it would just be best to stick with 1. Ive heard some say that 2 females could fight. I just dont want to be stuck buying another tank because they cant get along and its not like I could just put them in time out lol.

Thanks

Re: 2 or just 1

Sorry I forgot to add one more question. How much does a normal leopard gecko cost?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

From what I understand two females is fine but two males would be a problem Emily would know better than me If you want a Leo I'd suggest you start with one female (if they can be housed together) and keep it for a little while to get the hang of leos and lizards on the whole then add another when your ready.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Leo's really arn't very social animals, so you don't 'have' to have two. If you house two males together, they will fight until one of them sustains so many injuries/stresses out that he dies (if not seperated before hand). Females may be housed together, and for the majority they do not fight. From what I remember reading, if there's an odd temp flux in the incubators while incubating for males, this may produce a female gecko that is more agressive than the average female, which in most cases is your 'fighter'. These females can refuse to breed for the first year or two, but I've heard that they usually calm down after that, and should breed fine. If the breeder says that he incubated them for females though, everything should be fine.Or it could be that maybe the two females personalities clash, lol.

Those are on pretty rare cases though, so I think that if you housed two females together you would be just fine. A 20 gal is big enough for a pair.

edit-
    as for the cost of a normal leo, I would say around $20 for a normal, and $50-60 for an albino. It's been a few years since I was really shopping around for any leo's so it might have changed since then.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

I believe the cost of normals is between $20 and $40 now. Also depends on where you get them (always try for trusted breeders or specialty stores you KNOW are good and knowledgeable) and how old they are.

As far as keeping two, certainly not necessary. They aren't social at all, as was stated, and therefore don't get 'lonely' like so many other small animals. As long as you give them places to hide and low things to climb on (they are terrestrial after all) a single leo will be just fine. I've had my guy for well over 9 years, and rescued him as a juvi, so he's been quite happy all that time.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Ok thats cool. They are cheaper than what I was expecting. Thought they would be in more of the $70 to $80 range so thats good to know. Though its hard to put a price on such cute little guys and gals. I wasnt really sure how social they were. Ill probably just stick with one when I finally decide to get them. I still have to find a place that sells them cause my local petsmart doesnt have any. They may be able to order me one though. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

for the most part females get along fine, but make sure if you do get 2 females that they are close in size. do try to buy from a breeder and not a chain pet store as the leos from these stores tend to have a lot of parasites and sometimes other issues.
    - Emily

Thanks

The only chain petstore I would buy them from is Petsmart and they have a really good customer agreement contract. I think they give like a month warranty on all pets so if they become sick they will either take them back until they get healthy or will let you take another one and even give a full refund if still not satisfied. I purchased my ball python from them and he has been perfectly healthy since ive had him.

Thanks

Hmm, either you got really lucky and ended up with one of the few good Petsmarts out there...or you got a lucky fluke in the health of that snake. I'm glad your snake is doing well, don't get me wrong...but I used to work at Petsmart and I know how the animals arrive, from what kinds of conditions, and in what numbers. Most store employees have no clue, aside from the outdated caresheets, how to care for reptiles. They don't isolate, they don't quarentine, and they don't treat enclosures of herps.

As I said, you may be a lucky one to have a real good store, but I wouldn't risk it a second time. If you possibly can, get a leo from a breeder. The price may be a bit higher (tho I doubt it after seeing what my store charges for reptiles...), but it'll be well worth it to get a plump, healthy, established eater. Trust me, my leo is a rescue from a pet store that got him in trade from a family who badly mistreated him. I don't doubt this move, as I love the little guy, but as a result he cannot be touched and it took a very long time to get him eating well and regularly. Just a heads up there for ya.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

petsmart's prices are actually a lot higher than what you would pay for a normal from a private breeder. are there any shows in your area that you could check out? if you do purchase from petsmart or another chain store i would definitely recommend getting a fecal done.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast