Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,231

1 members and 3,230 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Mites? Quarantine?

I have a bp with mites and i just got the provent a mite in the mail. It says on it that after you treat the enclosure and everything, to put the snake back in. Im wondering why, I thought maybe the snake might need to be quarantined for a couple days. Does the left over scent of the provent a mite kill additional mites on the snake? Im not trying to question their tactic but has anyone else used this and how did you treat the snake? I heard to bathe them in warm water with a couple drops of dish soap? any advice would be great! Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Re: Mites? Quarantine?

You can bath them in some mild soapy water if you would like to remove some of the mites on the snake. However, the way PAM works is that it kills the mites and eggs that get in the shavings. Mites will leave the snake eventually to lay eggs, as they lay them in the shavings and not on the snake. The Pam will stay active in the bedding for somewhere around 30 days. However, I would recommend retreating the enclosure every 2 weeks with PAM, for anout 2 months. Your mite problem should disappear if you are careful about washing your hands before and after handling the snake. Hope some of that helps.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just use provent-a-mite as stated the mites will die soon after you will place the snake back in his enclosure, no need to treat the snake itself.

Now you say you have 1 BP with mite implying you have others correct? Did you acquire this BP recently? Whether or not an animal has mites any new addition should be quarantine in a separate room away from your other snakes.

Now even though you practice good quarantine I would recommend treating your other enclosures as well, because even if the risk is low you can still transport mites on your cloth from one room to another which could mean the infestation could spray to your other snakes.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I actually only have the one bp. So treatment should be easy. Its just that I had tried almost everything before i finally saw a forum that mentioned provent a mite. I am looking forward to resolving this issue with him because he is such a sweetheart!