Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

2 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Pet Store Rescue....*Its a long one* (DUW)

About a month ago or so, I happened to see a pet store that just seemed to pop up. Apparently it has been there for years....Don't know where I have been.

I walk in and everything seems nice. Nice looking animals. Nice looking Cages. I was absolutely surprised. I actually found a pet store that was kinda nice.

That day they had two adult Female Ball Pythons available. One had a wicked nasty scar on the top of her head. I automatically felt bad and wanted her emedietly. The owner or the store also a breeder told me he didn't want her because she passed slugs last year, and she was impossible to hold. I didn't care. Quickly looker her over due to being rushed by Dad and needing to be somewhere very quickly. Everything seemed fine.

Get her home and of course she had mites. Got those taken care of real quickly. She is such a doll. As for being impossible to hold...I don't know what talking about she is wonderful.

This pic was just Just mins after I got her home. This tub was a transporter from store to home.

After getting my last female I was sickened by that pet store. I called and told the guy that the snake had mites...so pretty much everything has mites.
    He was happy that I informed him and informed me that everything will be taken care of. And that was that. Well just last week I walked in the store again, I wanted to see if they really took care of the mites. Just me of course being nosy. Walked in and everything was different..even the layout. So I figured they probably did do something about the mites.
    I proceed to the reptile section and I see a 20 gal tank with 7 adult female ball pythons in it. Iam just amazed at some people. When I seen that there was no question about it, I wanted to save as many as I could. Sadly I only had enough for two.

The fist one I picked up is a beautifully colored/eyed female. I automatically wanted her, just something about her. The owner was in shock that I actually picked her out.
    She had been off feed for a couple of months. Bought twice but returned (I didn't even know you could return pets like that) Also wouldn't breed for the past two years. AND my personal favorite...she had mites!

I freak out and tell the guy that weeks ago I informed him of the mite problem, and that he insured that it would be taken care of. I even went about pointing out the tank and the multiple females inside. He seemed to shake it off. Saying Pythons only get mites, and that he is trying his best.

I have had her a week now, mites are gone. She is eating like beast. Absolutely no problems. As soon as you stick the rat in there she's on it. I suppose I was lucky.

The other one I got was of course filled with mites, as well.

(All of those pictures were taken while inside their transport tub. They have been to the vet. All eating. And mite free)

Thank you for not only looking at my photos but reading my rant.

Thanks

Re: Pet Store Rescue....*Its a long one* (DUW)

I hate to say it, but the more you rescue, the more they are going to keep stocking them.

Thanks

Looks like you got some beautiful females.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevohraalnavnoj
    I hate to say it, but the more you rescue, the more they are going to keep stocking them.
    X2. It may seem like 'rescuing' BP's would be the right thing, but it only encourages those that are selling these animals in those conditions that they are marketing them in exactly the right way to get people to buy them. If I were you, I would still take some fecal's to a herp vet to make sure that they don't have any internal parasites. If they had mites, lord knows what else they might have as well, especally with them being previously housed with multiple other snakes.
    But they are all very pretty looking girls though!
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

Thanks

I understand what you guys are saying, and totally understand how it is promoting them. I just couldn't go home without helping as many as I could. I am just glad to give them a good home.

You just can never win.

Oh about the vet. All three have been to the vet. I have not had fecal exams done on them but I am planning to do that in the next week. Just waiting for the subject.

Thanks

they're all gorgeous but i think the second is my fave! i'm kind of a sucker for a nice reduced pattern!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Nice looking snakes.Now since the pet store owner AKA "wannabe breeder" does not know jack about getting rid of mites i wonder if you really purchased "females" .I am not trying to burst your bubble of happiness just pointing out you might have some normal pet store males .I would have them probed
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I wondered the same thing when they where bought; however they have all been probed and are indeed Female.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch Art
    I wondered the same thing when they where bought; however they have all been probed and are indeed Female.
    Thats cool then ,you never know what some pet stores will try to sell something.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Just wanted to say they are all gorgeous ladies!

And, the second one is my fav too. I've never really paid much
    attention to the reduced patterns, but she is just awesome!

Good luck with them!
    Loki Kali
    Merlin