Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,305

1 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I need some advice, quick please...

I just rescued this little guy. He obviously has some major problems including mouth rot which he has been given a full round of antibiotics.

Besides that, he is severely dehydrated, starving and who knows what else. He keeps opening his mouth. I have hand fed him some clarks, I will get some CGD seeing as how he is too far gone to eat crickets. My question is how often should I hand feed this guy, like howmany times a day? Should I mist and hand feed water? How often? Is it just me or does he appear to have MBD also?
    He is eating when I hand feed him and he did drink a considerable amount of water from the dropper. He is currently quarantined far away from my established collection.
    I just couldn't leave him there at the store, I felt so bad. Two others were like that but not nearly as bad. This guy they filled out paper work for saying he was deceased and just let me take him.

So any advice is welcome. I have nursed leos back to health but its different and they weren't this far gone. He is sooo skinny.

Here are pics
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I need some advice, quick please...

aaaw poor, poor little thing. where to start?

first, get him eating repashy crested gecko mrp immediately. clark's is merely filler and will not sustain this gecko with the nutrients it needs to survive. add a small amount of calcium to the diet for now to counteract mbd which looks quite probable. feed him 3-4 times per day and leave a shallow dish in his enclosure as well.

you may want to get some pure calcionate syrup (calcium glubionate) from a pharmacy to give him as well (this would replace the calcium added to his food)--the dosage for this is 3 drops per 100 grams so you will have to be careful about the dosage, but the good thing with it is that it is pure calcium and geckos will not overdose on it like they can with calcium that had d3 added.

what kind of antibiotics did you give him and how much? he needs to see a vet asap for his mouth which looks like a combination of mouth rot, mbd and injury. in the mean time you should clean the area with chlorhexadine or betadine.

you should mist and give water by hand right now. let him have as much as he will drink every few hours until he gets over the initial dehydration.

he is probably opening his mouth because he is stressed but he could also have a respiratory infection. have the vet check for this when you take him to have his mouth looked at.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thank you Emily. I know, where is start is the biggest question. This poor thing has a whole handful of problems.

I do have the liquid calcium. I will use that for now until I get the Trex diet. I have to run back to town tomorrow.

I am not sure what the antibiotics were. The employee said she just finished giving them to him but I didn't think to ask what they were. I will definately have him looked at by a vet that I trust though.

I just checked on him and he is lapping up water from the leaves in the little critter keeper. So he is definately drinking something. I will keep up with the hand feeding water and food though.

Lets hope this little one pulls through. If he does I have promised him his own tank, as tall as possible with live plants and more roaches than he can handle lol. Too bad they don't understand you.

I will keep you posted on his progress.
    Kristina Rogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

I have no advise on how to help you. Very sorry about that.

I just wanted to say for saving this little fellow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch Art
    I have no advise on how to help you. Very sorry about that.

I just wanted to say for saving this little fellow.

Ummmmmmmmm........ second that!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Thank You. I really hope this little one makes it through. I am currently reading everything I can about treating this little fella. This is by far the worse condtioned rescue I have ever taken. Its going to be a big challenge getting him back to good health.

It makes me so mad, it was over 100 degrees in the tank, humidty was roughly 30%. He had a branch, just a piece of wood and a nasty water dish. How hard is it to care for the animals you carry properly? You'd think chain stores especially would set an example.
    Kristina Rogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

wow, over 100 degrees?! i'm surprised he made it more than a few hours in that heat. he must be totally dried out inside and out. keep giving him as much water as he wants. a quick soak in some lukewarm water wouldn't hurt either if you don't think it will stress him too much.
    - Emily

Thanks

He did make it through the night. He looks a little better this morning to as far as the dehydration goes. He also pooped, so that is sitting in the fridge waiting for my vet to open.

So far so good. I am about to do some hand feeding. Which he doesn't really seem to mind. So thats a plus. It doesn't seem to stress him out.
    Kristina Rogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

Thank you guys for your well wishes and wonderful advise. Unfortunately he passed away just a little bit ago. I think the poor thing was just too far gone. I really wishe that petstores would practice good husbandry, these things wouldn't happen so often. Its bad enough he had mouth rot, but malnourished and the dehydration on top of it?

I guess they don't realize that antibiotics are useless if you aren't going to feed and take proper care of the animals you are treating.
    Kristina Rogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I know your tried your best and at least he had a great home towards the end.

Thank you for updating all of us though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast