Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,610

0 members and 1,610 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Heating question

It is starting to get cold here in new york, and im worried about my BP's temp. The hot side (with a UTH) is dropping to low 70's at night because i have to turn the heat lamp off. I have put tinfoil over the top and i haven't found any other solutions to my problem. I have put another layer of foil as well as a folded up bedsheet in hopes of insulation, but the temps. still drop. Besides a CHE or infrared bulb (which by me are not readily available) what can i do to raise the temps. at night?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Heating question

Hi,

You could possibly try a red or blue spotlight bulb till you decide if you want to order your ceramic heater/ infrared bulb etc online from somewhere like reptilebasics.com.

I have always used striplight type bulbs for light if needed as this means they have little effect on the heat in the tank one way or another.

What are you using to control the heatlamp you use at the moment?

Also what are you using to insulate the sides, bottom, top and back of the tank (if it is a glass tank )? I use a couple of layers of cork sheeting that can be found in most craft/ diy stores but polystyrene may be a more efficient material or something like reflectix (I think that's what it's called).

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

im using a zoo med repti temp thermostaton my uth and lamp i do have three sheets of tinfoil duct taped to the cover 24 hr. a day, which helps somewhat im not using anything to insulate the tank though, it is glass. how would i do that?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I thought the repti-temp was an on/off thermostat? Does that mean you have a flashing bulb or does the one you have not give off any visible light?

If it gives off no light then I would leave it on 24/7 - other wise I would probably use a dimmer switch to control the lamp instead as flashing lights can cause stress in the animals and family around it.

As to the insulation Mine is simply fixed onto the outside of the glass tank with good heavy duct tape.

The tinfoil will help a little but it really isnt very good at keeping temperatures up in the same way that cork or polystyrene is.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.