Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

2 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

View Poll Results: Do you kiss your snake(s)?

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have no bones about admitting it. Smooch!!

117 39.53%
  • No, but I allow my kids to kiss the snake(s).

3 1.01%
  • OK, I'll admit it. I did it once.

54 18.24%
  • Never did and never will!

122 41.22%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Do you kiss your snake (or allow your kids to)?

Quote Originally Posted by JASBALLS View Post
    Hi Buddy! I love you man!!

I love you too! You still can't kiss my snake!

Thanks

eWWWWW
    -Camp

0.0.1 Normal
    0.1 Spider

"...and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I kiss my snakes

Thanks

Wink Re: Do you kiss your snake (or allow your kids to)?

If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger. There are a lot of germs in the human mouth too, but that doesn't seem to stop anybody.

Thanks

I have before, but I don't make it a regular practice to have a good-bye smooch every morning.

I don't really think it's as big of a deal as some of you guys are making it out to be. Every door handle I touch probably has 500x the amount of germs a snake carries and only God knows how often I'll end up touching my face before I get a chance to wash my hands.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Hypo Columbian Red Tail Boa

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsmith View Post
    If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger.
    While it might not kill it can make pretty sick and also make others around you sick.

Infection with any of several species of the gram-negative bacilli Salmonella results in gastroenteritis and sometimes local tissue infections.

About 2,200 types of Salmonella are known, including the one that causes typhoid fever (see Bacterial Infections: Typhoid Fever). Each type can produce gastrointestinal upset, enteric fever, and specific localized infections. With the exception of the type that causes typhoid fever, Salmonella infects the digestive tracts of many domestic and wild animals, birds, and reptiles. Contaminated foods—particularly meat, poultry, eggs, egg products, and raw milk—are common sources of Salmonella. Another source is infected pet reptiles (snakes, lizards, turtles). Up to 90% of pet reptiles in the United States are infected with Salmonella. Salmonella infections are a significant public health problem in the United States.

Symptoms and Diagnosis

Symptoms of Salmonella infection are usually confined to the digestive tract and start 12 to 48 hours after ingesting Salmonella. The first symptoms are nausea and cramping abdominal pain, soon followed by watery diarrhea, fever, and sometimes vomiting. The infection is often gone within 1 to 4 days, but it may last much longer. Some people become carriers and continue to pass the bacteria in their stool well after symptoms are gone.

Very rarely, Salmonella leaves the intestines and travels through the bloodstream to infect other sites, such as the bones (particularly in people with sickle cell disease), joints, or heart valves. Occasionally, a tumor may become infected and develop an abscess that provides a source for continued blood infection.

Diagnosis is confirmed in a laboratory by culturing a rectal swab or sample of stool or blood taken from an infected person.

Treatment

Salmonella gastroenteritis is treated with fluids and a bland diet. Antibiotics do not shorten recovery time but do prolong the excretion of bacteria in the stool and are therefore usually not given. However, infants, people in nursing homes, and those with a weakened immune system are given antibiotics because they are at higher risk for complications. In carriers who do not have symptoms, the infection usually resolves on its own; antibiotic treatment is rarely needed and may not be effective.

People with Salmonella in their blood must take antibiotics for 4 to 6 weeks. Abscesses (collections of pus) are treated by surgical drainage and 4 weeks of antibiotic therapy. People with infection in blood vessels, heart valves, or other sites generally require surgery and prolonged antibiotic therapy.
    The last part really sound fun doesn't it?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Up to 90% of pet reptiles in the United States are infected with Salmonella. Salmonella infections are a significant public health problem in the United States.

If 90% of pet reptiles have Salmonella, then wouldn't we be hearing about a lot people being infected with it? I know lots of people with reptiles and have never heard of them being infected with it.
    I kiss my snakes all the time and have never been sick afterwards, I sometimes don't even wash my hands after oh my gawd I'm going to get sick
    -Brian-

Monty- Ball Python
    Spike- Red Tailed Boa
    Quentin Tarantino-Pastel Boa

Than- Boas are better than Pythons
    Then- We went to the store, then we went home

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MontyNSpike View Post
    If 90% of pet reptiles have Salmonella, then wouldn't we be hearing about a lot people being infected with it?
    Well some people are more responsible than others (thanks god)
    I know lots of people with reptiles and have never heard of them being infected with it.
    So do I and none of the one I know have ever had this problem because they are responsible and ALWAYS practise safe handling.
    I kiss my snakes all the time and have never been sick afterwards, I sometimes don't even wash my hands after oh my gawd I'm going to get sick :rolleyes
    You say you don’t wash your hands afterward so let’s imagine this scenario for a minute you handle your reptile and than touch a child’s hand.

The child is either very young or has a weaken immune system and put his hand in his mouth.

The child gets sick or worst dies and the salmonella outbreak is traced back to YOU a reptile owner.

Now while you might not care what do you think will happen as far as legislation goes, how would you feel about the child you have endangered or killed?

Because it is unlikely this does not mean it cannot happen.

If a salmonella outbreak was traced back to reptile owners this would give more bullets to the government to banned this hobby might not bother you but it does me.

Safe handling is YOUR responsibility and you need to see the big picture.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I don't like letting anyone's face get near my snakes. A defensive bite can happen anytime and would do alot to push backward any favorable idea of snakes that many people have.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Ball_Pythons View Post

You say you don’t wash your hands afterward so let’s imagine this scenario for a minute you handle your reptile and than touch a child’s hand.

The child is either very young or has a weaken immune system and put his hand in his mouth.

The child gets sick or worst dies and the salmonella outbreak is traced back to YOU a reptile owner.

Safe handling is YOUR responsibility and you need to see the big picture.
    First off, I don't have kids and never come into contact with them while am at home, which is where all my reptiles reside. I do encounter them at work, but my hands are washed then. 2nd, I shower on a regular basis which kills lots of germs because of soap, it's a great thing. I handle my reptiles safely all the time. I clean them too and clean their cages on a regular basis. So I consider myself a safe handler. I know there are responsible pet owners out there, but even they would have affected animals according to your findings. I am well aware of the Governments ban on snakes and such. I am also aware of the ban on constrictors in San Francisco, which is why I can never move there because I own 3 constrictors. So, don't worry, I do see the big picture. I just don't see the big deal in kissing a snake with the most microscopic chance of catching something. When people start dying because of snake or reptile caused Salmonella, I might reconsider washing my hands right after holding my snakes and kissing them goodnight, until then I will carry on doing what I am doing...
    Oh yeah, the other day I let a friend of mine hold one of my snakes, and he is afraid of them and doesn't know why. He did fine and so did the snake. It was anther step forward with educating people and getting them over their fear of these often misunderstood creatures.
    Last edited by MontyNSpike; 02-01-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: adding more details
    -Brian-

Monty- Ball Python
    Spike- Red Tailed Boa
    Quentin Tarantino-Pastel Boa

Than- Boas are better than Pythons
    Then- We went to the store, then we went home

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast