Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,308

3 members and 1,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: Mites

Thanks

Mites

How do pythons get mites? How do you get rid of them?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Mites

Quote Originally Posted by pythonfreak15
    How do pythons get mites? How do you get rid of them?
    In most cases by being in contact direct or indirect with another infested snake.

The only way to get rid of them effectively is by using Provent-A-Mite which is the only product that is patented and designed to work with reptiles eliminating treats all the different stages of mite's development.

Here is where you can get it http://entirelypets.stores.yahoo.net/proventamite.html
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I used a household spray that kills: lice, ticks, fleas, & dust mites. Works just as good, and at a lot better price. Haven't seen a mite since then...

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RKO
    I used a household spray that kills: lice, ticks, fleas, & dust mites. Works just as good, and at a lot better price. Haven't seen a mite since then...
    While you can to do whatever you want with YOUR snakes, including using products that are not designed for used with reptiles, potentially putting your snakes at risk to save a few bucks, I found recommending such a thing to a new member irresponsible.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Ball_Pythons
    While you can to do whatever you want with YOUR snakes, including using products that are not designed for used with reptiles, potentially putting your snakes at risk to save a few bucks, I found recommending such a thing to a new member irresponsible.
    I've used Provent A Mite and the stuff I currenty have. Took 2-3 months to get rid of the mites with Provent A Mite as well as losing one snake. And the mites came back later on. Then I get a free snake, mites are back use the stuff I currently have and they are gone within a couple weeks and I havent seen one mite since, and no snakes were lost.

And not to mention I looked over a friend's snake about two months ago because he was going on vacation and he was having trouble feeding it. Turns out, his snake had mites. I treated it with the same product I have now, mites were gone in days. And the snake fed for me and has not given him problems since.

People say Betadine is not meant for animals. Yet it is used to treat mouth rot and I have yet to hear of a reptile or anything dying from using Betadine on them. Or Hydrogine Peroxide isn't meant for animals yet people use it when say their snake gets bit by a rodent or their dog cuts themselves on something.

I find your arrogance immature

Thanks

A Product that I have used when I picked up a Boa From a reptile expo that came home w/ some Unwanted houseguests was Reptile Relief, You can get it at petco and on the reptile basics website.

The overall effectiveness for me was amazing, It killed mites on contact and was able to be sprayed or wiped directly onto the reptile w/ no harmful effects, though it is not to be used on amphibians.

Its also EPA Certified and will Kill Mites and Eggs as well along w/ ticks and a few other nasties that can affect your snakes

Using it along w/ Provent-a-mite Should be the ultimate combo to destroy and prevent mites.
    5.7.0 normal ball pythons
    1.0.0 Pastel Ball python
    1.0.0 Mojave Ball python
    1.0.0 Borneo short tail
    1.0.0 Lavender albino Kingsnake
    0.1.0 Snow X German Giant Bearded Dragon
    Too many rats to list
    1.0.0 Red and Rust Doberman

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I used Reptile Relief on a rescue that came from a pet store that I had seen mites in before. I pre-treated her before coming into my home with it, and then settled her into quarantine. The Reptile Relief did NOT kill the eggs, because 30 days later, she was soaking and had mites on her.

Provent-A-Mite erradicated the mites, and I've never had another mite in my home. Now I always pre-treat enclosures with P.A.M. when bringing in new animals to my personal collection. No problems!

Thanks

I was Just going on my first hand experience using the product. Ever since the treatment which was well over a month ago I havent seen a single mite so I dont know if I was lucky or what but that was my take on the product
    5.7.0 normal ball pythons
    1.0.0 Pastel Ball python
    1.0.0 Mojave Ball python
    1.0.0 Borneo short tail
    1.0.0 Lavender albino Kingsnake
    0.1.0 Snow X German Giant Bearded Dragon
    Too many rats to list
    1.0.0 Red and Rust Doberman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rich
    I was Just going on my first hand experience using the product. Ever since the treatment which was well over a month ago I havent seen a single mite so I dont know if I was lucky or what but that was my take on the product
    Depending on how far "over a month" it has been I would start looking closely for new mites. I too tried reptile relief (a few years ago) and found it worked really well for killing the mites crawling on the snake but that was about it. It did NOT kill the eggs in my case and I had to retreat after about 45 days. I now do as Robin describes and use PAM whenever I have a new addition/rescue...and to date haven't seen a mite.
    Sean