Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

1 members and 3,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I've come to the conclusion that Rocky just likes to hang

I've mentioned this before, but I wanted sure about all my temps. Now I have an Acu-Rite Thermometer measuring the cool side air temp/humidity as well as the cool side hiding surface temp. I have this thermometer on the other side to measure the temp under the hot side hide.
    ESU Digital Thermometer

The Humidity has been between 50 and 60%. The warm side stays between 90-94. The ambient air is 81-83, and the cool side hide is around 80-82. The cool side does drop slightly below 80 from time to time at night, but I have a Vornado space heater which I use to heat it back up quickly (I'm still trying to find a way to keep that side at a steady temp.)

Anyway... Everything seems under control yet every night he goes climbing or actualy just hanging sometimes.

He used to climb on the analog thermometer on the cool side also before I switched it with the Acu-Rite. Lately he's been facinated with the black night bulb. As I mentioned I'm to the point where I just think he's just a curious youngster climbing around and flickering his tounge. But if anyone can think of any reason that something may be wrong please chime in.
    1 Normal BP (Rocky)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I've come to the conclusion that Rocky just likes to hang

Hard to tell from the pictures, but does he have two identical snug hides?

Thanks

Yes, here's a better on of the tank...

Since I took this I've taped that cardboard to the back and left side of the tank to give him a little more privacy (especially at night since I have my lights on much later than his 12 hour day cycle). I also have something that I put in front of his tank to block the light from my TV at night.
    1 Normal BP (Rocky)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Look to me like your BP is trying to find it's way out.

Might be me but your hides don't look tight enough. Hides need to be tight all sides touching your BP's body. This is how tight around your BP's body an hide needs to be http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ht=tight+hides
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Hmm... I'm going to try to find a way to make those hides smaller without having to go out to buy new ones. I'm definetely up for suggestions if anyone has tips on hide engineering.

If he was trying to find a way out would he only do this at night still. During the day he stays inside whichever hide he went to slept in. He seems completely content until I switch to the night bulb and keep his tank dark. He has been eating fine and quickly and seems fine when I handle him (combination of crawling and relaxing while flicking his tounge).
    What is typical nightime behavior for a BP?
    1 Normal BP (Rocky)

Thanks

If he is just climbing at nightime I'd say he just enjoys being out and about at night. Maybe looking for food or something??
    Your temps seem OK as long as your are measuring the ground temps, which I'm assuming you are.

I have my BP in two kitty litter boxes and there is tons of room inside.
    She doesn't seem to be upset about the extra space but I'm not going to argue about the size of the hides.
    I do agree they should be tight!

I think your BP just likes to roam around. As long as he is eating, sleeping, and pooping, and sheding OK I'd say you should be fine I think...
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny2184
    If he is just climbing at nightime I'd say he just enjoys being out and about at night. Maybe looking for food or something??
    Your temps seem OK as long as your are measuring the ground temps, which I'm assuming you are.

I have my BP in two kitty litter boxes and there is tons of room inside.
    She doesn't seem to be upset about the extra space but I'm not going to argue about the size of the hides.
    I do agree they should be tight!

I think your BP just likes to roam around. As long as he is eating, sleeping, and pooping, and sheding OK I'd say you should be fine I think...

That's my opinion also. He shed the first week I got him (it wasn't in one piece, but it did all come off in about 4 pieces, he did need some assistance with the tip of his tail though), he's been eating a mouse every 6 days with no problems, he poops his little tootsie rolls (as I call them), and sleeps all day (he tends to poke his he out occasionally the day before feeding and on feeding days once he smells the mouse). However, I realize I've only been a snake owner for a little over a month so I wanted everyones opinion. I think I may take some pieces of the drift wood that I have and put it inside his hides to make the inside space tighter.
    1 Normal BP (Rocky)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigCeC43
    That's my opinion also. He shed the first week I got him (it wasn't in one piece, but it did all come off in about 4 pieces, he did need some assistance with the tip of his tail though), he's been eating a mouse every 6 days with no problems, he poops his little tootsie rolls (as I call them), and sleeps all day (he tends to poke his he out occasionally the day before feeding and on feeding days once he smells the mouse). However, I realize I've only been a snake owner for a little over a month so I wanted everyones opinion. I think I may take some pieces of the drift wood that I have and put it inside his hides to make the inside space tighter.
    Never hurts to try. Give it a go and let us know how it works out for ya!

Cheers!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

Thanks

Funny... This morning our BP Max was sitting in his cage hanging from his tail just like Rocky. I'm a newbie too, but I just assumed he was checking things out. Although I did consider adding back the climbing branch I had in his cage. Anybody else have a climber, should I put the branch back in the cage?
    1.0 - Mutt (Buddy)
    0.0.1 - Normal Leopard Gecko (Lizzy)
    0.0.1 - Normal Ball Python (Max)

Thanks

Mine likes to climb as well... he even pulled off the Fluker's thermometer/hygrometer combo I had attached to the glass and managed to get the sticky side of the velcro stuck to his neck! That was fun trying to pull it off without hurting him!

He's climbs up the sides of his tank and stretches across his hides. He also eats and poops regularly, so I haven't been worried about it. I just figured that's how he is. I've never heard anyone say anything about climbing being bad.
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast