Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,872

1 members and 3,871 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Finally ready for breeding!

i will be attempting to breed my balls for the first time this year so im gonna need some help!

i have a couple females that are old enough(3 years) and heavy enough(1600g+) and a couple males that are for sure ready to go.

so heres the question:

i have a female pastel that i bought a couple months ago and wasnt planning on breeding her until next year but she eats like a champ, is over a year old and over 1200 grams.

think she is ready?

any other advice is welcome!

thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: Finally ready for breeding!

I dunno... her weight sounds pretty low for breeding. I bred Bela, my '04, last year at 1800g, and even still if she were much lower than that I was not going to.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I would say she is definetly not ready. I would give her another season.
    * Jason *

lots of Bps

Thanks

you can generally go by 1500 grams average, or 500 grams per ft. some will breed lower, some will not. age is a factor too. alot of people have luck with girls in their 3rd,4th winter.

keep feeding her until around thanksgiving or x-mas, then see where she is at.

one things for sure, you can't force the girls to lay good eggs!!

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ya im thinking if i wait until next year i may get a bigger clutch size and there may be less health risk for her but i want super pastels sooo bad.

some people i have talked to say go for it but to me she isnt just a breeder and i dont want to put her at risk.

but is it possible to successfully breed a female with her stats??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigballs
    ya im thinking if i wait until next year i may get a bigger clutch size and there may be less health risk for her but i want super pastels sooo bad.

some people i have talked to say go for it but to me she isnt just a breeder and i dont want to put her at risk.

but is it possible to successfully breed a female with her stats??

I agree with you 100%. "she isn't just a breeder". You will likely get a bigger clutch size, which means a better chance at your supers if you wait another season. I share your desire for that morph as well.

As far as her being able to, noone can tell you for sure about that. I don't think she will suffer any damage if you try. She either will or won't produce eggs. She may get stressed out if the male is trying to breed and she isn't ready. I would keep them together for short periods of time. Just so its not too taxing on her if she isn't ready.
    * Jason *

lots of Bps

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ya i just fed her yesterday and took a good look at her and had to realize that she is way to small. sure she is 1200g but she just turned one year old last month. i guess ill giver her another year.

thanks guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

1500 grams is a minimum for me. But even at that weight if they are too young they aren't gonna take. she may go late winter(possible but unlikely) but next year she should be rockin.

Thanks

Heres my question... is 1200g's at a yr old considered an overweight ball? Im sure we can all do the math ... but its 100g's/month... I have 5 1yr olds and my biggest is 700grams... Obviously you can easily get them that big in a year but is that healthy?
    snakes

Thanks

I have an 03 female i didnt breed her till last year. Shes always been a good eater. She was alittle over 2100gm. Her clutch weighed 635gm 7 eggs Laid on 7/16/07. Shes at 2200gm now. Started eating day after i took eggs away. One med/large rat a week no over feeding her. I know not every ball is the same. But so far from what ive seen with my breeders the bigger they are the faster they come back after breeding. Better to wait another year than to find out she wasnt ready the hard way. Bad eggs or something worse. Try breeding her. It doesnt take and she goes off feed looses weight then your waiting longer for her to breed again. Also even if she is 1500gm she still could be to small. 1500gm but 6 feet long then would be to small. 1200 to big for a year old ball. If you were feeding once a week then she grew like she should. If you were power feeding her to get her up to size then she might be over weight. I have some that have been up to 1300gm in one year. But i have one,another 03 that is only like 950gm. She eats every week never missed a meal. Just isnt getting that big. So depends on the snake and how much your feeding. Sorry so long

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast