Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

3 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Bite

Thanks

Bite

I was feeding today and noticed that the mouse may have taken a little bit of skin off my BP. I always supervise but he got it extra quick today and its like the mouse just barely took some skin...i was wondering what to do

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Bite

You can clean up the wound with some betadine and apply some neosporin on the wound (the one without pain killer).
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

For the future you might want to keep something around (like a pencil) to shove into the mouse's mouth in case it as able to reach your snake to bite it. I know that you aren't always able to see, but there have been a few times its come in handy for me.
    0.1 Normal BP - Skylla

Thanks

For my snakes that insist on live (I have two) I ususally give the mouse a good flick in the head to stun it. This generally takes care of any bites from the mouse and the snakes still see it as live prey.

One real cool thing one of my corns started doing with live mice after getting bit was this. She would grab the tail, and then use her body to press the mouse on the floor and pull the tail hard till the mouse died. She never got bit again. I have never seen or heard of this behavior in any other snake before.

I ain't picking on you but does this snake insist on live prey? If not go to F/T simply for your own convience. Then you won't have any bites to worry about, however, don't sweat it snake heal from minor scrapes etc. very quickly.
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

i always watch and sit there with somehting to block the mouth of the mouse and i have had to in the past...but this time my snake was just hungry it had it as soon as it hit the ground and the mouses head was in a weird position...

Thanks

My ball has been bitten twice. I didn't put anything on it, but I kept a good watch on him, and it healed it with no scars at all. Looking at him, you wouldn't know he has even been bitten. But, I think my dad is considering feeding him dead rats now, but I don't know if Kaa(my ball) would eat it. He has only eaten live rats his whole life.

Getting off subject, but yeah, my little guy(or girl) heals up nicely and quickly. After just a day or two, maybe three, there was no wound or scar.