Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,452

3 members and 3,449 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

humidity problem

I have my rtb in a 60 gallon aquarium right now since my bf baught it for her while I was at work. I have the screen covered with foil and duct tape...uth on the warm side...red light on her...2 water dishes...2 hides and misting 3x a day with jungle bedding. What can i do to raise the humidity for her? She is gettign ready to shed (eyes were blue yesterday after a feed) and today they are clear so if im not mistaken she should shed soon here. I want to make sure she sheds right with out any problems. Doesn't help I've only had her a few weeks and she wasn't kept right who I got her from. She is just a baby...I would say maybe 3 months old since shes like 18"
    1.1 Children
    0.0.1 Water Monitor
    1.1 Dwarf Hamster(Rainbow and Scooby)
    1.0 Ferret (Trouble)
    1.0 Kitten-Cookie
    0.2 Rats

Thanks

Re: humidity problem

get a tub!! sooo much easier. trust me they may not look as nice as a glass tank but who cares the snake will be happier. for raising humidity in that thing spray alot more. my snake liked to spill water everywhere and it would raise the humidity.

Thanks

I've never used a tank, so I can't speak for how to raise your humidity more than you are. Two water dishes and misting the tank are two ways you're attempting to, and if it's still not working, I'm not sure what else to try, so I'll let someone else chime in there.

If you do decide to eventually switch to tubs, I will say that humidity has NEVER been a problem in tubs for me. In fact, I've had to switch to a very small (4oz) water bowl for my BP's tub because the larger bowls had my humidity up too high!
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree, get a tub. A 12 qt tub would e wonderful. I find myself with enough humidity even when I use a deli cup for them.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I say lose the foil and tape, and throw a towel over the screen. That should work, but I switched to a tub and I love it!

Hope this helps!

Mitch
    Mitch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bright202
    I say lose the foil and tape, and throw a towel over the screen. That should work, but I switched to a tub and I love it!

Hope this helps!

Mitch
    Please DO NOT lose the foil and the tape. It will hold in humidity far better than anything that will breath.

Try wetting a hand towel down and keeping it in the tank at all times. Switch to a substrate that holds more humidity like coconut, or add a humid hide with some sphagnum moss to atleast get humidity up there.
    ~*~ Adri ~*~

0.1 BP - Kitty (but 'officially' Cleo)
    2.0 Pet rats - Gir and Zim
    1.0 Bunnicula - Dexter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GirDance
    Please DO NOT lose the foil and the tape. It will hold in humidity far better than anything that will breath.

Try wetting a hand towel down and keeping it in the tank at all times. Switch to a substrate that holds more humidity like coconut, or add a humid hide with some sphagnum moss to atleast get humidity up there.
    Really? A towel worked so much better for me, of course I left a spot open so it could breath.
    Mitch

Thanks

the reason you are have problems is because you are using a 60 GALLON TANK....

it's hard to hold humidity in a 20 gal tank let alone one 3x as big. since your boa is only 18" i am pretty sure there is going to be a lot of wasted space in a 60 gal tank, so mind as well downsize a bit.

hope your boyfriend kept the receipt....
    -Kevin

Thanks

He bought it from a store that was going out of business for the stand some tank and other needed supplies for less then 100 delivered. I was thinking of just blocking off half of the thing with some plexi glass till she gets bigger but there is a 60 gallon uth heater on it taking up most of the space i would block off. Im just gonna move to a tub I have that I used with my ball that is big but alot eaiser to keep the humidity
    1.1 Children
    0.0.1 Water Monitor
    1.1 Dwarf Hamster(Rainbow and Scooby)
    1.0 Ferret (Trouble)
    1.0 Kitten-Cookie
    0.2 Rats

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Put a water bowl partially over the UTH. That will evaporate some of the water. I keep 70-80% humidity in a 29G without misting for my BRB.
    1.1 Ball Pythons, 0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Suriname Boa, 0.0.1 Corn
    1.1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.0 Red Tegu, 1.2.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas, 1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon