Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

2 members and 3,198 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

Thread: Not good

Thanks

Not good

I went into the utility room where we house the gliders. I started to clean their food dishes so I could start making them dinner and I heard something in the ceiling. I stopped what I was doing and looked up at the ceiling where we have openings (since it is the basement, my grandfather never bothered to fix it up) and suddenly out flys this big bug. Now, because I'm allergic to bees, I got out of there fast. It sounded and looked like some kind of really big singing bug, so I wasn't taking my chances. But there is a problem. How am I supposed to feed the gliders now? Normally there is someone around to get rid of any bees in the house (sometimes they find thier way in) but I've been home alone for two weeks. There is no one here to kill it or get it out of the house. I'm afraid of being stung. My mom says I have the same kind of reactions to bees as she does and when she gets stung she has to be sent to the hospital. I do have an epipen but I'm not sure how long they are good for and I don't know where it is, so thats not going to help me if I go in there and get stung.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Not good

Anyone you can call to have come over and help out?
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Thanks

if you find your epipen, there should be an expiration date on it. if not, as long as you haven't had it longer than a year, you should be able to trust it!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Not this late at night. Its nearly 1am here. And something I'm noticing is there are openings to the ceiling all over the basement. There are two small holes in my bedroom ceiling and I'm worried the bee might be able to travel through the ceiling and get to me. I dunno. I'm tempted to go back to the room and see if its gone but at the same time I don't want to risk walking in and having it land on me.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

We have had the epipen longer than a year. We actually have two but my grandmother moved it somewhere and didn't tell me where it is. She's due back either really late tonight or early morning from her trip. But I have to feed the gliders soon as they will start waking up in less than an hour and they'll be expecting food already made and waiting for them.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

What I would do is, go down there, slowly and listen. If you hear it, try to isolate where the sound is coming from. The first thing you need to be able to do is identify what kind of flying... whatever... it is. Move slowly and quietly. *IF* a bee, wasp, etc. does land on you... STAY STILL! They only sting when they are frightened or feel threatened. If you go flailing around, you're going to freak it out and it will do whatever it needs to do to defend its self. Granted, standing still and choking back the urge to swat at it and run away isn't easy, but it will help you to be able to avoid getting stung.

If you need to feed your gliders, try to get them fed. If you don't see or hear the little bugger, go about your business, if you do, let the gliders wait until you are able to remove the bug.

Have your ceiling checked. If it's a bee, wasp or hornet, they are not solitary insects.

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different

Thanks

Oh why must they always be in groups. Well I went in and very quietly gathered the gliders' dishes. No sign of it, but really freaked me out to be in that room. I'll have to tell my grandmother when she gets back. If I hadn't been scared out of my mind I would have taken a better look at it. All I knew was that it was big, made a buzzing noise, and was flying. That was enough for me.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Arg! This house is giving me the creeps. Earlier when I got home the dogs started barking all of the sudden and I could have sworn I heard another dog moaning but I couldn't be sure. Just now I was making the glider's food and I could have sworn I heard the ceiling above me creek. (I'm in the basement) I don't think I'll be getting any sleep tonight.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Poor Jay!
    Snuggle with the gliders and all will be well.

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different

Thanks

Jay if you are that allergic to bees/wasps you really do need to have that epipen with you at all times (make sure it's a current, unexpired one). You could just as easily get stung walking to the corner store, cutting your lawn, whatever so it's really something you need with you at all times anyway.
    ~~Joanna~~