Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

2 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Excess Soaking

Thanks

Excess Soaking

Hi I got my BP around 3-4 weeks ago and everything has been great. He has been a textbook BP, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Great eater, switched from live to F/t instantly with no fast, very docile.

As of yesterday I noticed he has been spending a lot of time in his water dish. At first I thought "oh know mites", but I took him out and inspected him previously and I noticed 2 dots which could have been from substrate or mites. I do not see movement over his face or anything. He also hasn't shed yet, but I don't really see any signs of a shed, blueish eyes, pink belly etc. All the temps/humidity are spot on, is there a reason he is soaking?

Another thing I have noticed is that he hasn't pooped yet, which at first I learned is acceptable, since they have a very efficient body. My question is when do I become concerned?

Thanks
    -Jeff

Thanks

Re: Excess Soaking

If it is a mite infestation, the BP would definately be soaking to relieve the itching. BUT, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Mites are extremely hard to see at first. It took me a week before I noticed mine had a mite infestation, and that was only because my girlfriend has better than 20/20 vision.

My suggestion is to buy a magnifying glass, and soak ur BP in lukewarm water with ONE DROP of liquid dish soap. Soak him in the container for about an hour or two, checking on him once in awhile. Pull him out and examine the water for any black dots. They will be very small, and hard to see. Next (or before you soak him) check his eyes/mouth with the magnif ying glass to see for any mites.

Hope this helps.

-Nick

Thanks

i would also pick up a can of provent-a-mite (PAM). this is the best, and pretty much only way to kill mites.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Could he be soaking a lot also because he is trying to poop?

Thanks

mine did the same thing. i thought "oh no mites" but there were no mites. and he still soaked. my temps and humidity where perfect. after his shed he quit doin it so my guess was that my humidity was to low.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DSGB
    mine did the same thing. i thought "oh no mites" but there were no mites. and he still soaked. my temps and humidity where perfect. after his shed he quit doin it so my guess was that my humidity was to low.
    Ya I also figured he could be shedding, which it is about time for him. Hes still young 122g to be exact. So he is due for a shed I would think. I was just a bit concerned because he shows no signs.

Thanks

mine showed no sines either. he is 75 grams. his eyes turned blue 3 dayy b4 he shed. once i saw the blue eyes i sprayed the tank twice a day and got a complete shed.