Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,414

4 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

dented eye while in blue?

Hi,

While trying to feed cleopatra tonight (she refused but no biggie as she seems porky lately and was never a reliable eater when in shed) I noticed one of her eyecaps has a big dent in it.

It wasn't there 2 days ago and the other eyecap is fine. She is in full blue but wasn't using her humid hide today. I'm reluctant to try and soak her as people say it can cause a bad shed and wonder if I should just wait till she sheds to see if there is still a problem? She was going noticeably blue a couple of days ago so she should shed in 4 days or so I think.

Any advice?

She seems perfectly happy within herself and kept trying to stick her tongue up my nose when I was examining it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Re: dented eye while in blue?

Only thing Ive heard of doing is bumping up the humidity. But given the fact you've been here longer than I have and seem well informed I'm assuming you've done that. Guess you could try just sticking her in the humid hide?
    0.1 Normal BP - Skylla

Thanks

maybe she's bumped it on bedding, "furniture" in her home. I've seen dents on mine, but not that extreme....I just boost the humidity up, up to and just after all the shedding, and they're okay.

Good luck Derek. Pls post how she does in a few days, okay??? I'm VERY curious to see/hear what you've done and how she does afterwards.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I have seen this before on a rescue I took in a few years back and from memory it came out fine post shed. The snake in question was kept in too high a humidity ( almost marshy conditions ) when I got her and I simply treated it as a Ball in shed and all worked out ok.

I did'nt raise or lower humidity other than normal for a shed, and it came out ok afterwards, although to be fair that indent looks very prominent.

I always raise humidity higher than normal when they are in shed so I would think if you also do that it would be enough.

Maybe others have had more incidents like this and can offer alternative solutions, that is the only one I can recall from my experience and it sorted itself out post shed.

There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

Derek, I've never seen anything that extreme. It's good to hear that it doesn't seem to be affecting her. I hope it comes off in shed. Please let us know.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

Hi,

Yes I'm assuming she has bumped it on some cage furniture too - probably the cork bark.

I'm planning on waiting to see how it looks after the fluid drains from between the skin layers to see if that lessens it somewhat through sheer mechanical processes. Also at that point she traditionally lives in her humid hide till the actual shed so that also might help. As a side point once the blue has gone I will be able to see eye movements etc to make sure the eye itself isn't being badly affected.

Will definately have to soak her if the dent remains after the shed though.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Derek I have seen that on our animals before. It typically goes away after the shed. I have not hed one that kept that dent after the shed yet, however, if yours does, I would definitely give her a good soak to help rehydrate.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Hi,

You were absolutely spot on Tim.

She was shedding tonight so snapped this pic when she was done - one lovely shiny eye.

dr del
    Derek

Thanks

That's great news! Thanks for the update.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright