Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

BP may be dying....

ive had my bp for a little under 2 wks. the first week everything was fine, he ate, didnt throw it up and he seemed normal. this week it all went bad. I fed my bp thursday but when i came home for lunch today he had threw up the fuzzie. I didnt have time to get on here and find out why so i went back to work and when i came home to take care of him, he was fine. but at about 10:55 the bp all of a sudden starting constricting and flopping around. he then stopped breathing, I touched him to see if he had died but he started flopping around again. my husband said he died and his brain just hasnt caught up yet, I dont think that can be considering its an hour later and hes still flopping around. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? is he dead or just sick? were taking him to the vet tomorrow.....if hes still alive.

Thanks

Re: BP may be dying....

Quote Originally Posted by doodisgurl
    ive had my bp for a little under 2 wks. the first week everything was fine, he ate, didnt throw it up and he seemed normal. this week it all went bad. I fed my bp thursday but when i came home for lunch today he had threw up the fuzzie. I didnt have time to get on here and find out why so i went back to work and when i came home to take care of him, he was fine. but at about 10:55 the bp all of a sudden starting constricting and flopping around. he then stopped breathing, I touched him to see if he had died but he started flopping around again. my husband said he died and his brain just hasnt caught up yet, I dont think that can be considering its an hour later and hes still flopping around. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? is he dead or just sick? were taking him to the vet tomorrow.....if hes still alive.
    Take him to a vet, ASAP. I hope everything is fine, I want you to be the first one to the vet tomorrow morning and demand to be the first patient, your snake needs medical treatment! Please keep up posted, I hope everything is fine.
    Mitch

Thanks

Yeah that certainly doesn't sound well. Please let us know how the vet trip goes. I hope all is well

Thanks

There are more experienced keepers here who can perhaps tell you better than I can. I have read that when a stake regurgitates (throws up) its meal, it can have a really negative impact on the snake internally. Snakes aren't equipped with a gag reflex, like humans are, so throwing up is VERY hard on their systems.

You say you've had your snake for 2 weeks...so I'm assuming that this is a very young BP? I think the rule of thumb is, the younger your BP--the worse things like that are on their systems. I hate to say it, but it sounds like your BP is in the process of dying (not dead yet)... if there are no emergency vets open and you have to wait until morning, you've got to, I guess.

I may be wrong here, and maybe your little one will pull through--I hope that's the case. I'm sorry you're having to go through it, though...that can't be easy. Please keep us posted--you're in my thoughts.
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

Please keep us all informed with the vet visit.

I am very sorry to hear what is happening. I hope everything ends up ok.

Thanks

Convulsions??? Yeah, def. need a vet!

If the unthinkable should happen and he passes away, you'll probably be best off to get a necrosy, or at least the liver biopsy. Sounds like maybe IBD, and if he's got it, you'll need extra precautions before getting another pet.

Ohhhh, I've got my fingers crossed for you!!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

no vet trip for me...hes gone. I tried picking him up and he didnt move. I thought it might be a stomach problem because it was real swallon and now it wasnt so i flipped him over and it was really sunk in like an anorexic girl. I didnt know regurgitating was that big of a deal or I would have took him to a vet when i came home from lunch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doodisgurl
    no vet trip for me...hes gone. I tried picking him up and he didnt move. I thought it might be a stomach problem because it was real swallon and now it wasnt so i flipped him over and it was really sunk in like an anorexic girl. I didnt know regurgitating was that big of a deal or I would have took him to a vet when i came home from lunch.
    I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the ones who truly cared about this snake. Sorry to hear about this, I would get him checked out anyways to see how he died.
    Mitch

Thanks

Well, perhaps you should take Sweety314's advice and have necropsy or biopsy done. Sorry to hear

Thanks

Im sorry!!! You may want to still take him to the vet and find out HOW / WHY he died.....esp. if you think you're going to want to get another snake.

U wouldn't want a future pet at a later time to catch something from his dying.

Condolences!!!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast