Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

2 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

To Tong or not to Tong?

My baby girl eats live mice. Yes, I know, I know, but she has always refused p/k and t/f, and I frankly love to watch her attack the little boogers. The problem arises from an incident that occurred about a month ago. I was doing some research on feeding, and thought I might ought to try to get her started on prekilled before she gets big enough to do some damage. She has never struck at me, but better safe than sorry, I figured. I suffocated the mouse, and used tongs to dangle it to get her attention. I dropped the mouse when she struck at it, but she continued to strike at the tongs instead of the mouse! My husband thought it was hilarious, he said she thought I was trying to steal her dinner. Since that night, I have continued to feed her stunned, but live mice. It scared me no end when she continued to strike at the tongs, because I was afraid she'd hurt herself (her teeth) on the tongs. What do you guys think? (Her birthday is April 15, 2007 if her age matters)
    1 royal female normal "Bella", 1 royal male Graziani pastel "Beethoven", 1 male Chinese Water Dragon "Kong", 1 un-sexed Tiger Salamander "Zilla", 4 semi-normal children (JACOB, JOSH, ALEX, GRACE), 1 far-from-normal husband "ERIC"

Banned
    Thanks

Re: To Tong or not to Tong?

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoy
    My baby girl eats live mice. Yes, I know, I know, but she has always refused p/k and t/f, and I frankly love to watch her attack the little boogers. The problem arises from an incident that occurred about a month ago. I was doing some research on feeding, and thought I might ought to try to get her started on prekilled before she gets big enough to do some damage. She has never struck at me, but better safe than sorry, I figured. I suffocated the mouse, and used tongs to dangle it to get her attention. I dropped the mouse when she struck at it, but she continued to strike at the tongs instead of the mouse! My husband thought it was hilarious, he said she thought I was trying to steal her dinner. Since that night, I have continued to feed her stunned, but live mice. It scared me no end when she continued to strike at the tongs, because I was afraid she'd hurt herself (her teeth) on the tongs. What do you guys think? (Her birthday is April 15, 2007 if her age matters)
    Sounds like your snake got robbed in the gene pool. But seriously, striking the tongs? Not the brightest snake.

Thanks

yeah, well, we love our special-ed bound baby lol. Maybe she WAS just being territorial? (EDIT) She did bite and curl around the mouse after she decided she had killed it herself.
    Last edited by lovetoy; 09-01-2007 at 01:28 AM.
    1 royal female normal "Bella", 1 royal male Graziani pastel "Beethoven", 1 male Chinese Water Dragon "Kong", 1 un-sexed Tiger Salamander "Zilla", 4 semi-normal children (JACOB, JOSH, ALEX, GRACE), 1 far-from-normal husband "ERIC"

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoy
    yeah, well, we love our special-ed bound baby lol. Maybe she WAS just being territorial? (EDIT) She did bite and curl around the mouse after she decided she had killed it herself.
    Haha, I was only kidding. There must have something that attracted your snake to the tongs...I would try to feed with the tongs again, and if the same thing happens, then I would stop. Your right, your snake could potentially harm herself on the tongs.

Thanks

Babies can be very nippy. She probably just felt threatened w/the tongs over her head. Keep using them. They're MUCH safer than getting tagged. My set are rubber coated on the tip ends, so there shouldn't be extensive damage if she snags them a time or two.

Better the tongs, than your hand!

BTW: Ann and Dan are spring babies...and they strike at me from up out of the tub when I'm just opening it to fill their water bowls.

RuLyn
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

tongues defo seem the best way to go! can i ask in what manner do you hold the prey; tail, stomach???

Thanks

she should be pinching it by or behind the shoulders so the snake can strike the prey's head. Or by the tail.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rottendj
    tongues defo seem the best way to go! can i ask in what manner do you hold the prey; tail, stomach???
    I tried to hold it by the tail, but I kept dropping the ******* thing, I ended up holding it by the hind haunches, with his head dangling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweety314

BTW: Ann and Dan are spring babies...and they strike at me from up out of the tub when I'm just opening it to fill their water bowls.

RuLyn
    You know, I read all these threads saying stuff like that, but none of our 5 balls, and 1 burm have EVER even attempted to strike at us. LUCK???? We handle all our babies a LOT.

Thanks

Yeah, but they and Pi$$y Snake (and now 'Tude) just have the attitudes! Once PS ate consistantly, I handled him more, and he was improving, but he still lived up to his name!

Right now, Ann is a finicky eater. She was eating every week, but now she's not. Once I have her eating well, she'll get handled more. Dan (and so far, 'Tude) have eaten every week, so they'll get the handling to start calming down. But I think for them, it's b/c I'm sooooooo big and a meany.. so they have to be aggressive.
    Sweety314