Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

4 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Am I just being paranoid?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I've been reading and learning Sooooo much interesting stuff that I never new about ball pythons.

Now that I am so much more aware of things that I never payed any attention to I've noticed two minor things that may possible be symptoms of RI with my 3-year old male BP.

I have noticed when I had him out the past few times that maybe every 5 mins I hear a very faint whistle/squeak coming from his breathing and it is so faint that I have to have his head right next to my ear to hear it and like I said it is only one little squeak every 5 mins, it is not constant so I didn't think much of it.

Then, over the past two weeks I have looked in his cage twice to notice him laying next to his hide with his head resting on top of his hide on like an angle.

Is it possible that these are very beginning symptoms of a respiratory infection?

Thanks

Re: Am I just being paranoid?

The best advice would be to take him to a vet.

Thanks

I'd take him to a vet just to be on the safe side. Then again I battled a horrible RI with a few of my ball pythons. If I hear any kind of whistle, they are off to the vet asap. Better to be safe then sorry IMO
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

And its the holiday weekend! Bummer! In the mean time, bump up the humidity and keep it warm and snug for him. That should keep things maintainable till the holiday is over. Or if there is a Vet hospital around, see if you can get him in there, just so they can check him out.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I read on here that if it is caught in the beginning it is best to lower the humidity and raise up the temps to the high 80's low 90's for the ambient air. Is this correct? It also said if caught in the beginning it usually can care it self just by making these adjustments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pdr-now
    I read on here that if it is caught in the beginning it is best to lower the humidity and raise up the temps to the high 80's low 90's for the ambient air. Is this correct? It also said if caught in the beginning it usually can care it self just by making these adjustments.
    My vet advises to up the humidity because it will help the snake be able to breath better, it also helps to break up the mucus that is in the snakes lungs. he also tells people to let the snake soak in a warm water tub *with lid* for about 15-30 minutes depending on how server the RI is, also up the temps. I know when a few of mine had RI's I made sure that their "cool side temp" was 85 and their "hot side temp" was 93. Also no it is NOT true that RI will "just go away". The only way to get rid and cure a RI completely is to take that snake to a vet and get antibiotics. If not the RI will make that snake have a long, slow, suffering, suffocating death.

Do take the snake to a vet. Just up his humidity and temps. He should be fine till your vet is open again. Also do make sure you take your snake to a herp vet.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Next week I will find a herp vet and get him checked out. Thanks for pushing me to do the right thing.

Thanks

You might want to call around to different vets and ask how they treat it. The first vet I went to told me I could just raise the temps and lower the humidity and I'd be fine. Then once I read on here how that wouldn't work I called around to about 4 different vets quizzing them on how they treat an RI. I went with the one who treated with shots (app they can also treat with oral meds but Ive read the shots are the most effective so thats what I was looking for). And if you do go with the shots (if your snake does infact have an RI) ask them if you can give the first shot there, its a lot tougher to get the needle in far enough than you'd think.
    0.1 Normal BP - Skylla