Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

3 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Might be getting a mean girl...early advice?

There is a chance that this weekend I may get a 5-6' female who has potentially been neglected. I'm getting the info third-hand, but from what I hear the girl that owns her is chemically dependant (non-prescription, if you know what I mean) and the snake is not tended and rarely fed. She is described as agressive, but the person who contacted me has also not met the snake in question.

A few months ago, the owner was trying to sell the snake for $200, but has now given up on that and will give her for free to anyone who wants to mess with her. So me, being the rescue-crazed thing that I am, I'd like to give her a shot. I think it would be a good experience for me, and if nothing else she'd be safe and well-cared for, if not tame.

From browsing previous threads here, I see snake hooks and welding gloves recommended. The latter I'm familiar with, as we use them on feral cats. But how does one choose a snake hook? What size would I need for a snake this size? Would I need more than one? What's an approximate price range for these gadgets? Feel free to PM me some sellers too...I would appreciate it. Just having small/docile snakes so far, this is all new to me. :-)

Any other tips suggestions? I'm hoping that "agressive" as defined by a meth-head may look different from my perspective, but want to be prepared for the worst.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Re: Might be getting a mean girl...early advice?

Try www.tongs.com. They have some quality stuff and I've heard their customer service is awesome. I've never purchased from them, but I've done some looking around and they have a HUGE variety... perhaps emailing them with the question might help?

A snake hook will be good for training... you can hook train her at first, by rubbing her body and around her head with the hook before she's being taken out. This lets her know what's going to happen when the hook is present and will help chill her out.

And yes, I would definitely recommend long sleeves and thick gloves (I believe they also sell these on tongs.com... they have all sorts of handling equipment) when first handling her. Like you said, she may be a puppy... but better safe than sorry!

Thanks

what i did with my boa was to put a t-shirt that i wore in the tank with her. so she could get to know my stink! i read that some people used it on rectics so i tried it. and it might of helped i dunno. she never bit me yet.
    Need to fill some empty spaces!

Thanks

Thanks a lot Lynn, they do seem to have gloves.

It also just occurred to me that as a boa, she could be an IBD carrier. I've read up intensively on it in balls, but not so much boas. I know some of them can carry it asymptomatically for some time...(forever?). Is there ever a point at which you can definitively say "this snake has been asymptomatic for X months/years and therefore is not a carrier"?

She would be in a different room from the balls, and obviously would be handled last, normal quarantine protocol, etc, but still....is it a potential risk? As much as I'd like to help this girl out, I'm not willing to risk my existing kids for it, and IBD sounds like a horribly devastating thing to experience.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    6.4.8 ASFs

Thanks

Boas can be long-term carriers of IBD... how long has never really been determined. Months definitely, years possibly.

Unfortunately, there's no tried and true way of determining if a snake has IBD. The only testing method is via liver biopsy... which isn't cheap.

Sending you a PM.....

Thanks

Update:
    I talked to somebody who has actually met the snake, and he says she's closer to 7' but has only struck once, and that was with a closed mouth. She comes with a home-made enclosure "good for another couple of years".

We'll see...if all goes according to plan, she should arrive Tuesday night. :-)
    ~Jess
    6.4.8 ASFs

Thanks

Can't wait to see pics, Jess!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

No snakey...was too rainy for the wooden enclosure to ride safely in the back of a truck. So still waiting to meet her. I really really hope she's not too difficult! It's going to be a big jump going from my little 3 and 4 foot balls to this girl. I've held a few that size, but never been responsible for maintaining one. I'm alternately giddy and worried. :-P
    ~Jess
    6.4.8 ASFs

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Not for the weak of heart, a boa that size gives a decent bite, luckily, a defensive bite isn't half as bad as a feeding error
    Heres a tooth I had to DIG out of my hand from a 6' female boa

Even if they bite, all you need to do is just keep trying, eventually they learn that you aren't a threat, well most do at least. Keep em warm, well fed and regularly handled, you should be ok
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

nice bite ya have there!
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast