Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

2 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Help! Burn or Scale Rot?

I have recently moved away for another year in college, and my parents wouldn't let me take my ball python, so they have been feeding/caring for her.

When I came back home last week I checked on her, took her out, and found something awful looking on her belly, about the last 1/3 of her I'd say...(near her tail extending up)...

From what I remember, the color was a brownish, and when I felt the area, it was really rough, and it felt scabby, and I was in shock, and confused. Well anyway, I've since been back at school, and my mom told me today she took her to the vet because she was worried, and the vet said it was a burn and is giving her shots/antibiotics and is costing $185 (my bp cost me $30, captive bred and hatched)

Now, not to sound anti-vet, but I'm very mad my mom did this...she didn't tell me before hand, and IMO, is a total waste of money. I told her if she was going to take it to anybody, to take it to a friend of mine who has been working with snakes many years and he could diagnose the problem, etc. and not charge a penny.

Well anyway, I don't see how it can be a burn, because we've had the same setup for 3 months no problem (although I have been helping her shed...taking off areas she couldn't)...it's a 10 gallon glass aquarium, I used to sheets of newspaper, and a UTH...and a rock that is on the cool side (not heat rock) just regular rock...

Thanks

Re: Help! Burn or Scale Rot?

How are you measuring the temps and humidity? And do you have a thermostat or rheostat on your UTH?

Thanks

i'm trying to figure out why YOU didn't take it to your friend when you were there. i don't see any reason for you to get mad at your mom for trying to do the right thing for YOUR snake. just my .....
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess
    i'm trying to figure out why YOU didn't take it to your friend when you were there. i don't see any reason for you to get mad at your mom for trying to do the right thing for YOUR snake. just my .....

I agree with python queen!
    But I'll tell you what I do with my UTH... I have to put like 10 sheets of extra newspaper over it so it's does not burn my BP. I find it gets REALLY hot if I don't...so perhaps thats what is happening....
    Thats why I need to get a thermostat for them!

Good luck!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMB
    How are you measuring the temps and humidity? And do you have a thermostat or rheostat on your UTH?
    I have a fish thermometer on the inside...we'll it's a suction and after like 2 days it falls off and I have to replace it...it's always around 80...and no I do not have a therm/rheo...I know if anything I need to increase the humidity but that couldn't be why my snake has this on her belly...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess
    Well, because for one, I only had about 2 hours at home, and I was so busy with moving the extra stuff I needed back, that took all my time, and I needed to get back at a certain time....and also I honestly didn't think it was a life or death situation.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well I applaud your Mum she did the right thing, your snake was injured and she did what any responsible person should do and it is taking the animal to a vet.

I think you should be grateful that she is taking care of your animal during your abscence and that she care enough to seek help for your animal.
    the vet said it was a burn and is giving her shots/antibiotics and is costing $185 (my bp cost me $30, captive bred and hatched)
    Does this mean that because your animal is 30$ he is not worth spending 185$ in vet cost?

Now no one here can diagnose an animal online obviously your BP has already been diagnosed anyway.
    don't see how it can be a burn, because we've had the same setup for 3 months no problem (although I have been helping her shed...taking off areas she couldn't)...it's a 10 gallon glass aquarium, I used to sheets of newspaper, and a UTH
    Because you have the same setup for 3 months does not mean the UTH cannot overheat! Do you have a reliable thermostat

Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beachvibesbyeff
    I have a fish thermometer on the inside...
    is that a typo?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beachvibesbyeff
    I have a fish thermometer on the inside...we'll it's a suction and after like 2 days it falls off and I have to replace it...it's always around 80...and no I do not have a therm/rheo...I know if anything I need to increase the humidity but that couldn't be why my snake has this on her belly...
    You need to have something sitting on the bottom of the tank to measure the heat being put out by the UTH. They can get hot enough to burn snakes, so you also need a thermostat to control that output.

Personally, I use Acurite thermometer/hygrometers from Walmart. They cost around $12 and have a probe that can be placed over the UTH. You can get a dimmer switch to control the UTH until you can afford a good thermostat, if needed.

Thanks

1~ you need a more reliable thermometer and hygrometer... digital. i wouldn't trust the one you have to be accurate. i had one of those at first and when i upgraded i was amazed to see the difference

2~ even if you only had two hours at home, that's still plenty of time to give your mom your friend's number. or place a call to him yourself real quick

3~ if you had say, a dog or cat, and it had a severe burn like you're describing, would you just leave it alone and not worry about it because it's not a "life and death" situation?
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast