Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

1 members and 3,139 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Feeder snakes for a FL king

actually it's not that uncommon in the wild.

research the eastern indigo snake ( I am absolutely in LOVE with it!)

they regularly eat iguanas, rattlesnakes, and other snakes, but the amazing thing is, they're completely immune to the venom of the native venomous snakes of their area!

http://users.tamuk.edu/david_hewitt/...t%20indigo.JPG

okay. I'm done.. sorry... I just adore these beauties.
    Last edited by Nate; 01-13-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Please keep images below 800px wide or use links
    "lovin' is what I got"
    -Sublime.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovemetalivy8 View Post
    actually it's not that uncommon in the wild.

research the eastern indigo snake ( I am absolutely in LOVE with it!)

they regularly eat iguanas, rattlesnakes, and other snakes, but the amazing thing is, they're completely immune to the venom of the native venomous snakes of their area!

okay. I'm done.. sorry... I just adore these beauties.
    yes, i'm familiar with the indigo snake and i've read about them being ophiophagous. i love indigos too! i can't think of anyone who doesn't. have you ever seen them in the wild? i think it would be a dream come true!

on another note... why did you have to bring this thread back to life!?!?!?!!!! i thought this was ancient history. i just want to let everyone know that i did not follow through with this idea, and i'm pretty ashamed of considering it. this thread actually cost me a nice corn snake. i was going to adopt him but the owner saw this thread and changed her mind.

Thanks

haha. I don't know why I brought it back... heh...

I just saw it..

and commented.

but anywho... I live in Texas, and I'm just hoping to run across a Texas Indigo one day... It would make me SO happy.
    "lovin' is what I got"
    -Sublime.

Thanks

My cornsnake source fed some deformed or dead corns to her kings, f/t of course. It was very intresting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Street Killer View Post
    no offense taken... that is a good point. i am passionate about all snakes too... i probably sound like a sick little kid who just wants to see something eat something else... but i'm looking at this from more of a scientific standpoint. it is a phenomenon that happens in nature that i would like to witness.
    while that is a part of nature i dont see it being something good coming from it it you want to see something like that national geographic just had a king cobra eating a retic on their site on video. its not really a good theing to personally do because the stronger snake wins and not to mention parasites and everything else involved

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    I see your point yes. But I don't believe in feeding same species to one another.

Again I don't wanna argue. And true any rabbit or rat owner would cringe at the thought of a snake eating they're little pet.

I guess it all just boils down to feeding same species in general to one another that I don't like.

You certainly wouldn't feed a dog to another dog. I guess it can go both ways though. My opinion is strictly personal.

And snakes eating ther snakes in the wild certainly does happen. I just care not to do it.
    I think you are being too hard on this guy. I own a king snake, which as you know would regularly eat other snakes on the wild. Though I typically feed mice as you suggest, I live in an area where there are an abundance of ribbon and garter snakes. That said , I'll occasional catch a small one to feed to my king snake ..as a treat or diet supplement ..

I'm an avid reptile owner and have been all of my life. In my 40s I have an assortment of reptiles, about a dozen different lizards , two tortoises and the king snakes..any time you can mimic what these caprice animals might be exposed to in nature is a bonus..for example my kids and I will catch grasshoppers maybe 40-50 a week which our lizards love..and though I might dust the otherwise nutrionless store bought crickets I believe my animals thrive because of the addition of the grasshoppers spiders moths and other insects we add to their diets..please no posts about pesticides I'm in a field on our property, there are no pesticides..

Your analogy about "feeder dogs" is weak..I love reptiles and my first snake was a ribbon snake, bit now I own a Kong snake which is programmed to eat other snakes..I've got a heart so I won't watch the but I recognize the benefit to the snake I own so I'll just toss it in the tank and cone back later..we own a few red ear sliders who are in a small pond behind the house, an occasional through on guppies and gold fish as a treat..that said, I also have a fish tank with fancy comets ..one has nothing to do with the other..some fish pets some food food..and that's how I see the feeder snake issue..perhaps this story of the woman who I met who keeps praying mantis as pets..well let's just says on that field of grasshoppers is an occasional praying mantis on the prowl..and no all I can say is I can swear I saw my veiled chameleon smile as he swallowed one of those down..folded it in half and chomped away! You take on any pet you have an oblation to keep it as healthy as possible and that mean among up the diet whenever possible..ps, there are people who keep mice and rats as pets so at the very least, it's all about perspective..

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I would not feed any WC prey item, whether a rodent, bird, or snake, to a snake in my collection. WC critters are often carriers of diseases or parasites that you do not want taking hold in your collection.

If you want to feed your king snake the occasional snake as a treat, find someone who breeds ball pythons or corn snakes and offer to take their kinked or stillborn babies.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (09-06-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fcapps View Post
    I think you are being too hard on this guy. I own a king snake, which as you know would regularly eat other snakes on the wild. Though I typically feed mice as you suggest, I live in an area where there are an abundance of ribbon and garter snakes. That said , I'll occasional catch a small one to feed to my king snake ..as a treat or diet supplement ..

I'm an avid reptile owner and have been all of my life. In my 40s I have an assortment of reptiles, about a dozen different lizards , two tortoises and the king snakes..any time you can mimic what these caprice animals might be exposed to in nature is a bonus..for example my kids and I will catch grasshoppers maybe 40-50 a week which our lizards love..and though I might dust the otherwise nutrionless store bought crickets I believe my animals thrive because of the addition of the grasshoppers spiders moths and other insects we add to their diets..please no posts about pesticides I'm in a field on our property, there are no pesticides..

Your analogy about "feeder dogs" is weak..I love reptiles and my first snake was a ribbon snake, bit now I own a Kong snake which is programmed to eat other snakes..I've got a heart so I won't watch the but I recognize the benefit to the snake I own so I'll just toss it in the tank and cone back later..we own a few red ear sliders who are in a small pond behind the house, an occasional through on guppies and gold fish as a treat..that said, I also have a fish tank with fancy comets ..one has nothing to do with the other..some fish pets some food food..and that's how I see the feeder snake issue..perhaps this story of the woman who I met who keeps praying mantis as pets..well let's just says on that field of grasshoppers is an occasional praying mantis on the prowl..and no all I can say is I can swear I saw my veiled chameleon smile as he swallowed one of those down..folded it in half and chomped away! You take on any pet you have an oblation to keep it as healthy as possible and that mean among up the diet whenever possible..ps, there are people who keep mice and rats as pets so at the very least, it's all about perspective..
    This is a 7 year old thread
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hahahah.

Thanks

This thread is better then tv

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234