Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

1 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Feeder snakes for a FL king

there is your "phenomenon that occurs in the wild" youtube style...
    -Kevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    there is your "phenomenon that occurs in the wild" youtube style...
    yeah, i'm starting to think it would just be pure chaos letting 2 snakes go at it. i probably won't do it.

Thanks

Yeaaaaaah. "If you believe in God enough the kingsnake will survive." "I just wanna cut his head off!"

I still think he sounds like the Caddyshack Gardener, but yeah, this is about how intelligent the whole "Natural phenomenon" is. If you want to observe natural behavior, go outside! It's just kind of a bad idea and it wouldn't be complete chaos, it would just be another feeding. I mean, how different does that look from snake+mouse?
    1.1.1 R. Ciliatus (Abe, and I need names!)
    1.0 M. Spilota (Oskar)
    0.0.2 D. Tinctorius 'Powder Blue' (Ody and Perse)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris B
    Quoted for the truth. Also cali kings are amazing eaters and will more than likely eat anything you throw at them. On a side note though are you prepared to buy "feeder" snakes if he refuse's rodents when you offer? just something to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime
    Sure it is!!! Say you just got paid and think its cool to watch your snake eat another snake. So you buy a 20 dollar snake for it to eat. And he LOVES it!!! Then bam that's all he will eat.

It happens with stubborn ball python eaters. Sometimes they'll take gerbils or hamsters. I forget which one. But those guys are 20 bucks a pop. A lot of times they'll wanna stay on that food. So then all of a sudden your feeding your little kingsnake 20 dollar feeder snakes. When you could have just stayed on little 2 or 3 dollar rodents.
    I've never seen a california king snake, or any king snake for that matter, imprint on a certain prey type. This is after having seen them eat birds, lizards, rodents, as well as other snakes and on numerous occasions.
    Co-owner of a reptile store

5. The Following User Says Thank You to _BoidFinatic_ For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-27-2015)

Thanks

What about balls being mousers they're whole life? Never having the desire to take a rat?

It happens. Need less to say that's probably due to feeding after feeding of one prey type.

Ill just never offer my snakes something I'm not prepared to buy every week if that's what they end up doing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime
    What about balls being mousers they're whole life? Never having the desire to take a rat?

It happens. Need less to say that's probably due to feeding after feeding of one prey type.

Ill just never offer my snakes something I'm not prepared to buy every week if that's what they end up doing.
    Ball pythons are imprint feeders, king snakes certainly aren't. I wasn't referring to ball pythons and neither was the OP.
    Co-owner of a reptile store

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you have a snake that will eat rodents, it just makes sense on so many different levels to feed it rodents. If you have a snake that can only eat other snakes, then that's what'cha gotta feed it. I don't think any snake like that is going to be found in any common collection, though. As has already been pointed out, while kingsnakes can and do eat other snakes in the wild, they are also not picky eaters by nature and will almost always gladly take rodents in captivity.

All that being said....I'm gonna to slightly off topic and do something I usually don't bother to take the time to do....which is to utterly slam one of the videos posted. I know the world is full of idiots, and they fill every hobby out there. Heck, you could probably find videos of insane stamp collectors if you looked hard enough....so I don't usually bother giving them much credence or attention.

But that second video....the kindsnake vs the mojave rattler......I should never have clicked on that one. That was SOOO SOOO wrong. Unbelievably wrong. It wasn't a matter of FEEDING the kingsnake another snake.....it had just eaten and wasn't even hungry. All it was was the bloodsport of watching an animal die. And the guy didn't even care that the king was getting the crap bit out of it, either. I'm sorry, but even if you don't like rattlers, at least respect the animal you're practically worshipping in the midst of your bloody little sport! Rats won't envenomate my snake either, but I sure as heck don't want to see her get chewed on!!

And then to bring God into it....as if God were sitting in there with them cheering on the death of one of His beautiful creatures for no other purpose than their sick, twisted amusement.

GAH!!! Sick, sick people who have NO idea and not the least bit of comprehension of the beauty and awesomeness of life that surrounds them. All I can do is pray for justice.
    -- Judy

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-27-2015),BothropsOfBush (09-07-2015),scalrtn (09-19-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raptorslovepuns
    Here's some videos of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBurT7kWQj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5W8p...elated&search=

The narrator of the second one sounds like the Caddyshack gardener.

the general topic sickens me unless it is a king cobra

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Some people aren't fit to have fleas.

For a moment when I saw him sticking the rattler out of a small carboard box across the room in his bare feet I thought we might actually get to see poetic justice in action. But even then people would blame the snake.

If you watch it at the 12 second mark you can see what looks like a can of beer on the unit next to the pet carrier with shavings in - I assume thats what either the rat pup in the box with the rattler was in or the small kingsnake also in the box with the rattler was in.

This guy manages to tick almost every idiotic mistake possible mixing hots,alcohol and children with reckless abandon and neurons akimbo.

dr del
    Last edited by dr del; 08-28-2007 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added last bit
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

That video is utterly disgusting. I was really hoping that moron would have dropped that snake on the floor and that it came after his bare dirty feet. That would have made my day complete. People who stick two animals in an enclosed space and watch them fight to the death need to be put in a jail cell, strapped to a chair and made to watch fluffy bunnies and baby deer frolic through a flowered meadow for hours and hours on end.
    Under Construction.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast