Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

1 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Feeder snakes for a FL king

so if you put the word "feeder" in front of anything it's ok. no one wants to feed pets or anything, but if it's a "feeder" whatever it's ok.

i understand the whole concept and i know i have seen adds before for feeder snakes, but it's usually for snakes will only eat other snakes. King Cobras for example... at many Cobra sanctuaries in Africa, Cobras are feed rat snakes, that are specifically raised as food. in the wild the majority of a King Cobras' diet is other snakes.

i just think thats a little different that feeding a snake that WILL eat rodents another snake.

and to me it sounds like you are "a sick kid who wants to see something eat something".
    -Kevin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kagez28 For This Useful Post:

BothropsOfBush (09-07-2015),Megg (09-06-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    so if you put the word "feeder" in front of anything it's ok. no one wants to feed pets or anything, but if it's a "feeder" whatever it's ok.

i understand the whole concept and i know i have seen adds before for feeder snakes, but it's usually for snakes will only eat other snakes. King Cobras for example... at many Cobra sanctuaries in Africa, Cobras are feed rat snakes, that are specifically raised as food. in the wild the majority of a King Cobras' diet is other snakes.

i just think thats a little different that feeding a snake that WILL eat rodents another snake.

and to me it sounds like you are "a sick kid who wants to see something eat something".
    Quoted for the truth. Also cali kings are amazing eaters and will more than likely eat anything you throw at them. On a side note though are you prepared to buy "feeder" snakes if he refuse's rodents when you offer? just something to think about.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

seeing as the general populace would consider us feeding mice to be wrong I find this amusing. The difference between feeding one thing versus feeding another is the value the person puts on something. Mice are generally accepted as feeders, so no one gives it a second thought, but if you introduce something else people freak out.

With that said, what is the point of using snakes as feeders? Is your animal a problem feeder or are you just looking for thrills or what? I usually feed f/t rodents if I can, but I have several problem feeders that sometimes need something different such as lizards or frogs. Have you ever had to pop a tree frog because you snake swallowed it enough, but at the same time not enough so that the frog could still inflate it's defensive air sacks? I have and it's not enjoyable. Feeding snakes there will most likely be a lot of thrashing and struggling and will not be a quick death like we often see with rodent feedings.
    On top of this why would you want to have to get a fecal and worm you snake and such for one meal, most snakes that could be considered feeders will probably be wild caught and you risk introducing parasites to your pet. This is why feeding mammals to reptiles is great, because there is little risk of cross contamination comparatively.

That being said, look around, I'm sure you can find wc garter or ribbon snakes cheaply at some local pet store.
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris B
    Quoted for the truth. Also cali kings are amazing eaters and will more than likely eat anything you throw at them. On a side note though are you prepared to buy "feeder" snakes if he refuse's rodents when you offer? just something to think about.
    is that really a likely possibility?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    With that said, what is the point of using snakes as feeders? Is your animal a problem feeder or are you just looking for thrills or what?

On top of this why would you want to have to get a fecal and worm you snake and such for one meal, most snakes that could be considered feeders will probably be wild caught and you risk introducing parasites to your pet. This is why feeding mammals to reptiles is great, because there is little risk of cross contamination comparatively.
    no he's not a problem feeder, but i'm not just "looking for thrills." i can't believe everyone thinks this is so obsurd. the only way i can try to explain it is that i would just like to witness this phenomenon that occurs in the wild. the wild caught thing is a good point and has got me thinking. if i do this i will try to verify that it is captive bred.

Thanks

Sure it is!!! Say you just got paid and think its cool to watch your snake eat another snake. So you buy a 20 dollar snake for it to eat. And he LOVES it!!! Then bam that's all he will eat.

It happens with stubborn ball python eaters. Sometimes they'll take gerbils or hamsters. I forget which one. But those guys are 20 bucks a pop. A lot of times they'll wanna stay on that food. So then all of a sudden your feeding your little kingsnake 20 dollar feeder snakes. When you could have just stayed on little 2 or 3 dollar rodents.

Thanks

Scientific doesn't mean "I wanna watch it without going WOOOOOO" scientific means there's some purpose to the experiment like "I want to observe growth rates in king snakes fed a diet of garter snakes vs. snakes fed rodents." This is no different that someone saying "I want to feed a snake live prey because I like to watch it." Not saying that you're a terrible person or anything, but let's call a spade a spade here.

It's probably to the detriment to your snake or wallet, as WC snakes might carry some sort of parasite or disease with it and captive snakes aren't the cheapest feeders. Also, to warn you, you will be disappointed. Watching a snake eat another snake is just like watching a snake eat a really long mouse.
    1.1.1 R. Ciliatus (Abe, and I need names!)
    1.0 M. Spilota (Oskar)
    0.0.2 D. Tinctorius 'Powder Blue' (Ody and Perse)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raptorslovepuns
    Scientific doesn't mean "I wanna watch it without going WOOOOOO" scientific means there's some purpose to the experiment like "I want to observe growth rates in king snakes fed a diet of garter snakes vs. snakes fed rodents." This is no different that someone saying "I want to feed a snake live prey because I like to watch it." Not saying that you're a terrible person or anything, but let's call a spade a spade here.
    ok, i see what you're saying, but i'm just trying to explain my state of mind.
    It's probably to the detriment to your snake or wallet, as WC snakes might carry some sort of parasite or disease with it and captive snakes aren't the cheapest feeders. Also, to warn you, you will be disappointed. Watching a snake eat another snake is just like watching a snake eat a really long mouse
    i think i'm on the verge of being talked out of this idea...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Street Killer
    ok, i see what you're saying, but i'm just trying to explain my state of mind.

i think i'm on the verge of being talked out of this idea...
    Here's some videos of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBurT7kWQj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5W8p...elated&search=

The narrator of the second one sounds like the Caddyshack gardener.
    1.1.1 R. Ciliatus (Abe, and I need names!)
    1.0 M. Spilota (Oskar)
    0.0.2 D. Tinctorius 'Powder Blue' (Ody and Perse)

Thanks

Here's some videos of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBurT7kWQj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5W8p...elated&search=

The narrator of the second one sounds like the Caddyshack gardener.
    wow that second video was stupid in every way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast