Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,424

1 members and 3,423 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

For those who feed outside of there BP's cage/tank?

I just witnessed my baby BP eat for my first time. I put him in a box with a hide which he immedietly (I know that's not spelled rigtht) went in to hide. Then I put the mouse in. Everything went fine. Then I realized I don't know how to get him back into the tank, or when to. So after he seemed finished I did my best to incourage him to climb from the box back into the tank. Unfortuantly, he ended up falling back into his tank (I felt aweful). Anyway is it okay to pick him up to put him in the tank. If not any other suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: For those who feed outside of there BP's cage/tank?

Hi,

Well my first suggestion is to feed him in his normal tank.

If circumstances like that happen again though it is ok to pick him up gently and place him back in his tank. Just wash your hands so you don't smell like his dinner ( not that I think you would be hurt in any way,shape, or form its just good practice and you might as well start it now while he is small. ).

As for when it's ok I would wait till he had re-aligned his jaw and completely finished with the eating process.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigCeC43
    I just witnessed my baby BP eat for my first time. I put him in a box with a hide which he immedietly (I know that's not spelled rigtht) went in to hide. Then I put the mouse in. Everything went fine. Then I realized I don't know how to get him back into the tank, or when to. So after he seemed finished I did my best to incourage him to climb from the box back into the tank. Unfortuantly, he ended up falling back into his tank (I felt aweful). Anyway is it okay to pick him up to put him in the tank. If not any other suggestions.
    Wait a bit (maybe 30 to 45 minutes minimum) after eating and then quickly put him back into the tank.

All that encouraging and tilting and coaxing is much more stressful than just quickly picking him up and placing him back into the tank.

Thanks

I've been feeding successfully outside of the enclosure for 4 years and have never had any problem (even when, in my newbie ignorance, I fed my first BP the first day I got her) at all. You can use your hand to pick it up as long as you have your hands clean. Just wait 30-40 minutes and transfer them over--make sure you support the belly and only take a few moments of handling to keep them from getting sick. You don't have to feed in the home, I've found it works just as well either way. I know most people feed in the enclosure but feeding in a separate tank I've only had one refusal and 3 bites (no constriction) in 4 years.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

That's intresting two of you say to wait for 30-40 minutes can you tell me why?

Only one of mine gets fed outside of her enclosure (as she refuses to eat in it) and I always move her as soon as she has got her self all realigned and settled back down. This is generally less than 5 minutes after the tail dissapears down her throat.

I do make sure to wash my hands before handling her to avoid sfe's and, as you said, support her body well and treat her very gently. But , like you, I have never had any real problems with her doing this - even when I was beginning/stopping feeding multiples where she could have expecations of more food than arrived.

I do feed F/T if that makes a difference so generally have the rat dangling by the tail (she prefers it that way god alone knows why) so am constantly expecting to be the victim of a stupid feeding error every time.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I like to feed my snakes in a different tub because its a lot cleaner as far as rat poop, blood, etc....Then when they are done I give them a quick rinse under the sink, without moving them a lot. Real quick. Havent had any problems, but thats just the way I do it.

I dunno about the 30-45min thing, but if it works, then more props to you.

good luck
    -Linh
    0.1 Sumatran Stp
    1.0 Pastel BP

Thanks

Dr Del,

I say to wait a little longer because I don't know the temperament of the snake, and it's a safe time limit; with my bigger girl I tend to wait longer because she's snappy when the scent of rat's in the air, and I'm at risk of being bitten if I put my hand in any earlier than 30 minutes or so, so she gets calmed down and off of her "FOOD! I wanna bite!" feeding response. With the babies I want to give them plenty of time to get their food settled to keep from scaring them into regurging (that and they're both strong feeders too, and I've had both of them go at me when I stick my hand in) and I guess it depends on the temperament of the snakes involved. With one that's not so snappy with food then I guess there's no problem, but I like to make sure they have plenty time to get the food down and be comfortable again. XD Maybe just me being paranoid but like I said, I've never had any problems with it.

However, I feed live so that may be part of it--Matika refuses F/T and I haven't convinced my mom to let me buy F/T mice in bulk and put them in the freezer.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

I have been feeding outside the tanks for about 3yrs now, and never once have been bitten or threattend by my snakes. I feed them in a rubbermaid tub with no hides or anything as soon as they re-aligne there jaw i pick them up gently, and add support to the part of there tummies where there food has stopped at. I don't wait 30-45 minutes. it is usually about a minute average. But i have been bitten once in 3 yrs, and it was my fault, he was de-stressing, shedding, had an RI, and had mites. So he couldn't see what he was warning, but i asked for it. And no way related to feeding time.

On a second note i also dangle the rats/mice, by there tails, because i feed live food, and i don't want a rat/mouse bitting my snakes. If by chance they bite to high on the rat/mouse and i think it could be possible for it to bite them, i simple just grab the rat/mouse by the fur on the back of its head, and pull back, so it cann't bite my them.
    ~Matt

1.0 VENOM "Normal" BP 0.1 Ivy "Fireball" BP 1.0 Dr. Doom "Reduced Pattern" BP
    0.1 Lady 1/2 German Sheperd 1/2 Greyhound

1.0 William 100% Homosapien (LOL! Kids are like pets)
    0.1/2 Hazel 100% Homosapien (She's on the way: Due Oct. 8th, 2007)

Thanks

Ever sense I was given my first BP I started feeding him outside of his cage. I have been doing this for years now.
    I put them in a card board or plastic box and once they are done I just pick them up....I of course make sure to balance their weight. I wait maybe a min or so, and put them back in their enclosure.

I dangle the mouse/rat by the tail...I always have a thin piece of card board to use as a safeguard. If the mouse/rat is going to bite the snake I hold the piece of card board by them...It will then bite/chew on that till it passes.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I'm getting a better idea of what to do now. I'm still going to feed out of the tank for the same reasons that Crazy99CL had.

Next time I may just pick him up and place him back in his home, or if I find a hide w/ a bottom I may try to use that to transport him if he goes in it after feeding.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast