Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

1 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: At what weight/age will you start breeding your females ?

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1100 g

12 5.02%
  • 1100-1300g

32 13.39%
  • 1300-1500g

68 28.45%
  • 1500-1800 g

86 35.98%
  • 1800-2000 g +

18 7.53%
  • I go by age

1 0.42%
  • 18 months +

2 0.84%
  • 24 months +

5 2.09%
  • 36 months +

6 2.51%
  • other

9 3.77%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: breeding weight

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: breeding weight

800 grams? I'm sure the eggs were healthy, but what about the risk to the female? It's not usually the eggs that suffer when a female is bred too young/small.
    If you acquired her gravid, it's understandable, but I can't imagine why anyone would breed such a small snake deliberately.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion
    800 grams? I'm sure the eggs were healthy, but what about the risk to the female? It's not usually the eggs that suffer when a female is bred too young/small.
    If you acquired her gravid, it's understandable, but I can't imagine why anyone would breed such a small snake deliberately.
    If I did acquire her gravid at 800g Why is that OK? I bred her at that size because she is that size, And will breed this year at only 850g. I gave her last year off to see if she would grow. But she didnt So she is going to breed again..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Both weight and age are important, however I personally believe that age is the more important of the two. I've produced several nice clutches from females that were more then three years old but less then 1100 grams. It depends on the individual. Some are just small and always will be no matter how much you feed them.

Mark
    Well said Mark!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

One of the snakes that I've gotten clutches out of at less then 1100 grams is now over 1200 grams and I will be breeding her again this year. She has produced for me 3 years in a row so far. She eats fine the rest of the year and hardly ever misses a meal. She just hasn't grown very much because she's already an adult. I've noticed that the smaller females seem to be more consistant producers year after year, whereas my larger females are more likely to take a year off. Maybe this is because it takes them less time to get back to their ideal weight?

To be sure, the only snake I've ever had that became egg bound was just under 1300 grams. HOWEVER, she was also 6 years old at the time too. So, the question in my mind is, did she become egg bound because of her small size? Or did she become egg bound because she had her first clutch several years after her peers started laying eggs?

Mark

Thanks

One of the snakes that I've gotten clutches out of at less then 1100 grams is now over 1200 grams and I will be breeding her again this year. She has produced for me 3 years in a row so far. She eats fine the rest of the year and hardly ever misses a meal. She just hasn't grown very much because she's already an adult. I've noticed that the smaller females seem to be more consistant producers year after year, whereas my larger females are more likely to take a year off. Maybe this is because it takes them less time to get back to their ideal weight?

To be sure, the only snake I've ever had that became egg bound was just under 1300 grams. HOWEVER, she was also 6 years old at the time too. So, the question in my mind is, did she become egg bound because of her small size? Or did she become egg bound because she had her first clutch several years after her peers started laying eggs?

Mark
    I'd have to say the later. 6 years is young for a bp. But old as far as breeding for the first time? (was this her first breeding?). I'm sure females in the wild breed way before 2 years maybe even before 1 year. (I've done that also lol) But 6 years old? Maybe her female stuff was getting old? (not being used at all)??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd have to say the later. 6 years is young for a bp. But old as far as breeding for the first time? (was this her first breeding?). I'm sure females in the wild breed way before 2 years maybe even before 1 year. (I've done that also lol) But 6 years old? Maybe her female stuff was getting old? (not being used at all)??
    I'm kind of leaning that way too. This was her first time breeding. Her full sister who is also not very big (less then 1800 grams anyway, I don't remember exactly) produced her 3rd clutch out of 4 years breeding for me last year. The same year this one got egg bound. I haven't had a problem like this with any others so far, bigger OR smaller. I AM going to give her the year off this year though just to make sure she's well healed before trying again.

Thanks

I'm kind of leaning that way too. This was her first time breeding. Her full sister who is also not very big (less then 1800 grams anyway, I don't remember exactly) produced her 3rd clutch out of 4 years breeding for me last year. The same year this one got egg bound. I haven't had a problem like this with any others so far, bigger OR smaller. I AM going to give her the year off this year though just to make sure she's well healed before trying again.
    Good deal Man.. Have you had her to the vet for an ultra sound? Make sure there is nothing left in her. If you know what I mean?

Thanks

I have nothing to add...but I do want to thank both Mark and John for their input! I love hearing about first hand experiences especially regarding breeding ages/weights/number of eggs etc... Its a great thing to get different perspectives on.

Rock on guys!

-Jason
    Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBallPython
    I have nothing to add...but I do want to thank both Mark and John for their input! I love hearing about first hand experiences especially regarding breeding ages/weights/number of eggs etc... Its a great thing to get different perspectives on.

Rock on guys!

-Jason
    Shall we move onto breeder male weights? I'll get killed here lol!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JASBALLS
    Shall we move onto breeder male weights? I'll get killed here lol!!
    LOL...by all means! But I have a good idea of that through other forums.

Actually I would be interested to hear the age and weights of breeder males as well in terms of producing viable clutches, and possibly how many.

I've had my cinnamon male in rotation with one female the last few weeks, he has locked up five times that I've caught and has been producing sperm plugs. He's a late 06 hatch and still small by my standards at 430 grams. If his copulation will take with the female is yet to be seen....
    Jason

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast