Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

3 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Mites?

Thanks

Mites?

Just had the snake out and--horrors--there were a bazillion itty-bitty bugs crawling all over the inside of his hide. He's shown no symptoms like soaking. He's showing no symptoms of anything amiss. But I've never seen any bugs in his enclosure, let alone a swarm like thisl. Could these be mites? Crabs? And where would they have come from? He's been a happy, healthy, solitary snake since I got him a year ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Mites?

Ewwwww icky! I feel for ya!

Were any of the bugs crawling on the snake itself? It's possible that a different sort of mite found its way into your enclosure somehow, maybe. Sometimes the wood or bark substrates can have mites, especially if they're purchased in bulk or through some open source. Sometimes, mites can hitch a ride on your clothing from a contaminated pet store or show....just a few mites can turn into a bazillian in a couple of weeks.

However they got in there, definitely sounds like a job for Provent-a-Mite (PAM). Will safely and thoroughly get rid of those little buggers. The only downside is it must usually be ordered online. Very few retail stores ever stock it. While waiting on that, be sure to clean out the enclosure thoroughly and maybe give the snake a nice soak in a tub of barely warm water with a drop of dish detergent in it. This will kill off and get rid of most of the adult mites you can see....and PAM will take care of the rest.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Saw nothing on the snake itself. It is showing no signs of discomfort.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

That seems like a good sign that they're not snake mites. Still gonna need PAM to make sure whatever it is is gone for good, though.
    -- Judy

Thanks

If you use the coconut husk or anything like that for substrate should you treat it somehow to make sure you don't bring anything home? The ones I get come in blocks that I need to soak to break them up.
    0.1 Normal BP - Skylla

Thanks

The problem with mites is the like to be under the scales and in the eyes so it may take a little to see them. Provent a mite all the way. Take it from a guy that has tried just about everything at one time or another. PAM is just the best.

Rick
    Rick

I'm 42 feel like I'm 70 and act like I'm 12
    Ball Projects, and too many other animals to list, 2.0 human children 0.1 supreme ruler aka wife

Thanks

Yes, I use the coconut husk, but it comes in the bricks that need to be soaked. Gave him a thorough visual exam this morning and again saw nothing on him. He's still acting normal. So I'm going to order some PAM and deal with it when it arrives. I'd change the bedding and clean the cage and all that now, but I'm going out of town for a week and probably don't have time. Can anyone tell me what the chances are that these would be the dreaded mites but the snake wouldn't be showing any symptoms? Which is to say, is it axiomatic that your snake starts acting differently if it's got mites?