Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,072

0 members and 3,072 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

heating sources for glass tank setups...

i just have a quick question for users that have their BP's housed in a glass tank (aquarium) ...

how many heat sources do you use to keep ambient temps and the warm side steady..(i.e. UTH w/ heat lamp)

and if using a heat lamp what side is it setup on, the warm side or cool side? i know that may sound dumb but i've read some threads where users set up the heat lamp over the cool side to keep ambient temps up and i've been thinking of doing the same thing being as though my temps drop to 73F at night..:/

Thanks

Re: heating sources for glass tank setups...

Quote Originally Posted by SGB_74
    i just have a quick question for users that have their BP's housed in a glass tank (aquarium) ...

how many heat sources do you use to keep ambient temps and the warm side steady..(i.e. UTH w/ heat lamp)

and if using a heat lamp what side is it setup on, the warm side or cool side? i know that may sound dumb but i've read some threads where users set up the heat lamp over the cool side to keep ambient temps up and i've been thinking of doing the same thing being as though my temps drop to 73F at night..:/

Mount a UTH on underside of the tank at the warmside. Set your thermostat to 92-4F with a probe attached on the glass in side the tank directly above the UTH.

Mount/place a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) above the wire mesh of the tank for your cool side/ambient temp. Set your thermostat to 82-4F measured by a probe attached to a side glass pane about 2 inches above the substrate inside the tank.

See the sticky on glass tank setup for a picture of the wire mesh with hole in it etc:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=32800

Put your two hides directly above/below the heat sources.

This is what I did and it worked really well ( until I bought a tub setup.)

Good Luck.
    -Akiva

1.0 Norm BP - Fluffy
    0.1 Wife - Nina
    1.1 Children - Sam, Aura

Thanks

cool thats all i needed was a little confirmation from someone that it was ok to put a heat lamp on the cool side..lol i have everything else in place i was just worried about the temps getting so low at night.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SGB_74
    cool thats all i needed was a little confirmation from someone that it was ok to put a heat lamp on the cool side..lol i have everything else in place i was just worried about the temps getting so low at night.
    Thats why I put the probe for the cool side on the side of the tank that way you are sure that your ambient temps are at least 80F.
    -Akiva

1.0 Norm BP - Fluffy
    0.1 Wife - Nina
    1.1 Children - Sam, Aura

Thanks

yea..i use an acurite and i sit the whole unit in the tank and the probe measures the warm side and the base unit itself measures the temps its actually being placed in (i.e. cool side)

Thanks

I have a heating pad on one side and the ambient temp. is usually fairly constant. when they do drop i do use a heat lamp, centered over the cage, to raise them. if u do use one over the cool side at night, i would suggest a low wattage bulb bcause at night he temp. only needs to be from 75-80. heat pads work well and they can be left on 24 hours a day with a proper thermostat and ventilation. With heat lamps, u cant forget to leave it on for only 12 hours and have to remember to turn it off. i had a bearded and forgot to shut it off one night and it didnt eat for 3 weeks. not absolutely gonna happen, but it is possible. But if thats wat u want, to each his own and just remember that your snakes health is wat its all about

Thanks

While plastic tubs aren't as pretty you might want to consider just switching since its much easier to control everything in one.
    0.1 Normal BP - Skylla