Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

1 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really bad shed

Thanks

Really bad shed

Okay Hii i'm new here, my names Anneliese [Onna-leese] and my snakes name is Zarrh. He's about a year or two old and 3 feet.

My problem is that he had a REALLY bad shed. After he finished shedding i noticed light colored scales all over him, kindof like they were sprinkled on there. Does anyone know what this could be from? Also from the tip of her tail to about 3 1/2 inches up was red and has now become a pale pink. Its not scale rot i know that. I'll try to post a picture soon.

About his eyes, They seem to have dents in them, which made me think retained eye caps. I tried putting him in water to soak him, nothing. I've tried putting him in a humidity box, again nothing. I tried the baby oil trick and trying to get them off with a damp cloth, nothing worked.

He also has a tanish crescent shape in the top of his eye, instead of it all being black. What could that be?

Thanks

Re: Really bad shed

Welcome to the forums!

The color crescent in his eye is just his natural coloring...

As for the others... we're probably going to need to see pics before making a determination. If you're really worried about him, I would definitely get him to a vet.

That said, the white specks may just be a difference in coloring---BPs sometimes change coloring after shedding. The dents in the eyes are probably retained eyecaps. If they're not coming off, don't completely stress him out by continually rubbing at them. Just let them come off with the next shed. As for the belly color... ? No idea without seeing it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anneliese
    Okay Hii i'm new here, my names Anneliese [Onna-leese] and my snakes name is Zarrh. He's about a year or two old and 3 feet.
    Welcome to the site!!!

My problem is that he had a REALLY bad shed. After he finished shedding i noticed light colored scales all over him, kindof like they were sprinkled on there. Does anyone know what this could be from? Also from the tip of her tail to about 3 1/2 inches up was red and has now become a pale pink. Its not scale rot i know that. I'll try to post a picture soon.
    Well, the scales would be from having lower than needed humidity leading up to and during shed. I am not sure about the pink tail, but you should probably schedule an appointment with a herp vet to find out what it is.

About his eyes, They seem to have dents in them, which made me think retained eye caps. I tried putting him in water to soak him, nothing. I've tried putting him in a humidity box, again nothing. I tried the baby oil trick and trying to get them off with a damp cloth, nothing worked.
    Your pretty much just going to need to bump up the humidity and the dents will be gone with his next shed, as will the "sprinkled" scales all over his body.

He also has a tanish crescent shape in the top of his eye, instead of it all being black. What could that be?
    They naturally have a sorta lighter top of the eye, it's pretty cool eh?

BTW: What is your set-up like? Temps? Humidity? How they controlled?

Anyways, once again, welcome to the site!!!

Thanks

The only reason i was worried about the eye caps are because hes shed 3 times since i've noticed them and they haven't came off.

As for his set up its not so awesome right now. He's still in a ten gallon, but will be moving to a 20 gallon within the next week. His temps range from 75 [night] to 80 -90 degrees during the day. He has an under tank heating pad on the left side, where his hide is. And because he has barely any room his water bowl is on the right side. I haven't been able to find a humidity gage anywhere so i'm unsure of that. I'm working on upgrading and getting everything together for him, its just been taking a little longer because of well my lack of being able to find a job. [UGH being 16 is to hard, no matter what anyone says]

Thank you all very much for helping out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anneliese
    [UGH being 16 is to hard, no matter what anyone says]

Thank you all very much for helping out
    sounds like you need to monitor the humidity, and having temps between 80-90 isnt great.. thats kinda wide range for them to fluxuate. are you using a thermostat or rheostat?

as for being 16, being "hard" you literally made me LAUGH OUT LOUD.. wait till your older and your biggest problems arent your snake... while my pets are high on the list of "problems" raising children, paying private school tuition, bills, mortgage payment, being to work on time, dropping the kids off at school, truck payments, taxes, all with no help from anyone but my husband who is the same age as i, exc.. there are much more difficult things in life I WOULD LOVE TO BE 16 AGAIN! lol.. and im only 23 now, so i know it only gets more difficult as my kids grow up!

good luck with your snake though! could the pink-hue be a problem with circulation? ive heard of snakes loosing the tips of their tales due to a bad shed not coming off.. and from the sounds of it.. not having the eye caps come off in that many sheds, you need humidity control BAD.. i would see a vet.

Thanks

I want to scold a little bit and say that you shouldn't have gotten a pet without first being able to meet all the requirements for it. Money is an issue for everyone---and trust me, it only gets worse with age---but you should have planned ahead and had the resources before you even got the animal.

Scolding aside... we were all young once. And patience is hard at that age. Now it's time to go back and do things right.

Can I ask where you got your BP?

Thanks

I'm never going to have kids. So i can cross raising them and paying for them off my hard stuff in life list.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02
    I want to scold a little bit and say that you shouldn't have gotten a pet without first being able to meet all the requirements for it. Money is an issue for everyone---and trust me, it only gets worse with age---but you should have planned ahead and had the resources before you even got the animal.

Scolding aside... we were all young once. And patience is hard at that age. Now it's time to go back and do things right.

Can I ask where you got your BP?

I've had him for over a year, and while money had not been an issue when i'd gotten him up until now, he was well planned for. With an unexpected divorce, and many other things i can say i was quite unaware that a money issue would come up.

Anyways i got him from an amazing breeder around where i live

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB
    good luck with your snake though! could the pink-hue be a problem with circulation? ive heard of snakes loosing the tips of their tales due to a bad shed not coming off.. and from the sounds of it.. not having the eye caps come off in that many sheds, you need humidity control BAD.. i would see a vet.
    All the skin around it has come off so i'm positive its not from poor circulation.

Thanks

Divorce at 16??? Or your parents? (I've been through one myself recently... and I'm only 23 NOT what I like to have on my resume of life).

There are many questions that go through my head at this... the most important being if he was so well planned for, why is his set-up not at par?

If he has dents in his eyes, he has retained eyes caps. If they've been like that for the last three sheds or so, it means he has multiple retained eyecaps. This is evidence of a longterm problem.

I say it like I see it... his set-up needs fixed and he really needs to see a vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast