Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

2 members and 3,427 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Why do you breed..?

Just curious. I have been perusing the Classifieds on other sites, and prices for many morphs are shockingly low as compared to those of even last year.
    So why do you breed? Personally, I do it for the rewards of knowing that I caused some new snakes to enter this world. I am doing it so that I can sell to entry-level hobbyists and inform them on how to keep their new snakes, and light the fire within them. Or for being able to sell a quality captive-born-and-bred animal to someone who's been keeping them for years and wants an addition. And to keep a few.
    I am going to be producing pastels and normale this year, as long as the eggs decide to hatch (almost there!) I am wondering how many people are just in it for the money out there. How many will unload their collections as prices for morphs drop.
    Do you ever think that morph prices will level out to normal cbb prices?
    I just love these snakes. The aspects of breeding, good and bad and heartbreaking and anxiety-causing, make me realize just what awesome animals they are. No matter what the prices are at their going rates, I will not stop keeping and maybe breeding them; I am not in it for the money.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: Why do you breed..?

I personally love all of my snakes. I also find the genetics and combos fascinating...I am not in it for the money, but it won't hurt to make enough to support my hobby....

Thanks

well my animals are pets first and foremost. not an investment, or anything like that. i never really though about breeding until i learned about all the genetics that goes into it. i look at some morphs and they look so spectacular, that i want my own. bees, honey bees, super pastels, spider mojave, and many others i would love to own. but since i'm not bill gates i gotta start some where, and breeding will get me there. i don't plan on making any money, and if i do sell some animals and make some money, it would go right in to buying another morph and start working on a new breeding project.

i also like the idea that i am giving my snakes something they would get in wild. i don't feed live as of now, so letting my snakes breed is a natural instinct that i can give them. i mean they have to live in a plastic tub and they let me hold them and show them off, the least i can do is let them get some action....
    -Kevin

Thanks

I am motivated by these big time breeders. I don't think i want to be as big as them, but it would be cool. I want to show that kids can have responsibility, that we can do things that we are told. I want to show that keeping and breeding isn't for the older folks. Kids can do it too!! But I want them to know that its not cheap..trust me..lol. its disappointing, and hard work, time consuming.

I love these animals. I love the morphs. I would like to have the prices to stay high, and not shrink so much, that we are paying 50 dollars for a morph. The money is just a bonus! I can get more snakes with it. And stuff for them.

I love the fact that every snake is different. I love the competition, for who can make what combo first. Its so cool seeing a little bithatchlinghatchlings!! People can't do that in 2 years. And seeing little bitty baby hatchlings take there first breath, will be awesome!

Buying the hatchling selling the babies, making a small amount of money, putting it back into the snakes you bred, and the proses then starts for someone that just bought that baby from you. Now, you are spreading the joy that you received when you bought your first snake to breed. Its a never ending cycle, people buy snakes from you then the hatch snakes from that snake, and sell the babies, and it continues on and on and on. Breeders that you buy snakes from are more then just suppliers for your stock, they are your seed, your roots. Without the breeders, you wouldn't start breeding yourself. Now you become the seed, and start someones addiction,and breeding.

I want to become the seed.

Thanks

To produce snakes that *I* want. I want a killer bee, but don't have the cash laying around to buy one. So I bought a bumble bee and some pastels. I also like the butter combo's, so I bought a butter and will hopefully breed him to my pinstripe and spider. I can then breed the offspring back to other morphs. I'm really only interested in producing morphs I think are cool and that I want to keep.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks

well first I gotta get my het pieds, because I can't afford to buy a piebald outright (now where is my money tree growing?) I will breed the het pieds to acheive my goal. But I think it will be fascinating, fun and a good learning experience for me and my 10 year old to breed snakes and hopefully get him interested in genetics and snakes. If I can make some "pocket" money selling some of the hatchlings then thats a bonus. I'm going to do it for my enjoyment first, money second.
    Doris

Thanks

It feels good!
    Sam Mounts
    Gecko Den

Thanks

Havent started yet, but my whole reason for breeding would be to get what I want...it is less expensive to make what you want instead of buying it.

I just want a cool collection.

For example
    Honeybees: I have seen them for sale for about $12,000 I like most of you don't have that kind of money, but I do have $700 for a spider and $1000 for a Ghost...sure it will take a while to get what I want, but it will be worth it.

Also I have learned more about genetics learning how to breed and the various combos, then I have learned in my entire life at school. I just makes sense with snakes.

!| ~ JP ~ |!
    Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Ball Python: Samuel L. Jackson
    1.0 Pastel Red-Tail Boa: Twitch

Thanks

DITTO TO ALL!!!
    Come to the dark side we have..... You thought i was going to say cookies......we have ball pythons!!! :eek:

Please click on my egg so it can hatch!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

because I want an albino...... and a piedball.... and, um um , a jigsaw ..... and OH I want a ... oh yeah .. i want everything lol.
    There is a certain joy of seeing that ovulation, finding those eggs under momma, and watching tiny little heads pip out of those eggs - after all those years of hard work.. wow! What a payoff!!

Besides that, I really support people to buy ch animals rather than petstore items. I try to spread the tree of knowledge, so to speak, as far as I can about this subject in hopes that maybe I can make a small difference. I want people to keep their animals because they love them, not as a trophy. I want them to know all there is to know about them - i want them to thrive to find new information about them everyday if it will help them keep their snakes in the most supreme of care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast