Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

2 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy I still cant get the temps up

Well, I got the flood light and lamp dimmer, as suggested, but even though it keeps it raised it wont go past 85! The first day I had it set up it wouldent go past 90, but then the next morning I looked and it was at 80:eek: !! So I cleanded it and hooked up the flood light and dimmer, and it wont go up past 85!! I dont know what to do- Im afraid hes going to get sick!! Hes acting fine, but the tempatures supposed to be at 110- but even 105 would make me happy at this point... Some help, please??
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Re: I still cant get the temps up

Give this a try.... Go to ace hardware and get a few feet of reflectix. Duct tape 3 sides of the enclosure with this stuff and it should keep the heat inside the enclosure.... Make sure you have something controlling the heat sources...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juddb
    Give this a try.... Go to ace hardware and get a few feet of reflectix. Duct tape 3 sides of the enclosure with this stuff and it should keep the heat inside the enclosure.... Make sure you have something controlling the heat sources...
    I do- thats what the lamp dimmers for.. But thank you, I might just try that- Ill try anything!!
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

I'd take the lamp off of the dimmer. I don't see how you're not getting a 110 degree basking spot in a 15 gallon tank. Those flood bulbs are used by monitor keepers everywhere and they can make good 130 degree basking areas easily.

Are you using a digital thermometer and measuring the basking spot?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

No, becuse I was and it didnt seem like they were reading right, so I got the kind to just stick on the side of the tank and it read perfectly
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

Why didn't you just get another digital and compare the two? Comparing one of those stick on pieces of junk to a digital is like comparing a model T car to a fighter jet. It just doesn't match.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I know- but then alot of people told me that they had trouble with the digital reading the temps accuritly too, So I just got that and its always worked perfect for my BPs.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

Who is alot of people? I've seen those analog things before and they are FAR from accurate.

Either get a new digital or get a temp gun. It's likely your temps are off in all of your cages(which probably contributed to your snakes not eating, or it could have been the fact that your small female Ball was put into a 50 gallon tank at 6 months old).

While all of this may be working for you now, the long term effects are not going to be positive. Proper husbandry goes a very long way in successfully raising and keeping these animals. It is your TOP priority and cutting corners isn't going to get you anywhere.
    --Becky--

Thanks

Oh trust me- my snakes eat whenever I feed them! Both of them- I had to start putting the mice in before them or else they would grab them in mid-air, which isnt safe for them. And my feale was HUGE for her ago- she still is. She was 389g at 7 months (I didnt get a chance to measure her at 6), and Ive got a friend who deals with MANY differnt animals- hell, her and her husband have their own reptile shop. They said theyve only seen a couple balls get thhat big that quick.
    And they use the temp guns I think, but they said that these would work for awhile. Where do you get the temp guns? online?
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

Ok, I just found some, but thank you for your advice- feel free to lecture me more if youd like lol, Im just kidding. But seriously, thanks.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast