Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

2 members and 3,134 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Bumblebee vs Pastave (not a "what to buy" thread)

Okay, I've been thinking about it for a while and I know for sure I want to breed my pastel male to a morph female sometime in the future, and although I know I won't have the money to buy a morph female for a few years, I've been thinking about it anyways.

I've settled on either a mojave or a spider--my dillema is this: I love the way mojaves look, but I also like spiders. I cannot afford both, and I also cannot keep all of the offspring I may produce; at most one per clutch (which will not be any more than 2-4 in the next 4-5 years depending on how fast my animals grow and how many I buy) but that still leaves the rest. I love how Pastaves look, and would love to produce them, but I've only ever seen a few for sale (two this year for $3500.) as compared to bumblebees (which I also like quite a lot) which sell far more frequently and seem to be much more popular.

I'm fairly sure I won't have a lot of problem selling the mojaves, pastels, spiders, or normals, but it's the bumbles and/or pastaves I'm worried about, because of price. For you breeders, how quickly do bumblebees sell? Pastaves? What do you anticipate as far as price drops go in the next several years? I saw bumblebees going for something like $6000 a few years back, and have seen them go down to $2100 this year (possibly lower), but as I've said, I've never seen any pastaves up for sale before this year. At $3500 I think that's really very expensive, and might be hard to sell an animal at that price, especially if it's not a very visually striking morph the way bumblebees are. I want to produce pastaves but worry about not being able to sell the ones I produce. I do of course plan on keeping one of what I produce but--I can't keep everything.

I'm not going to be buying for a while yet, and breeding is still a year or more off for me (I don't want to push my pastel boy; the longer I wait with him the better, and the more size and weight my female will have, so it'll be safer for her--I'm in no hurry) but I feel it is a valid concern. Of course I don't expect to get rich or anything, but I'm sort of hoping prices don't bottom out on the bumblebees the way it has on pastels (I remember when I first found out about morphs, the pastel males cost three to four times more than what I just paid for mine!) although some drop in the pastave price might make it be easier to sell, I think.

As far as the immediate future goes, I know I can sell/give away my normals to friends who've been wanting a BP (My fault, much to the displeasure of their families!) and I know a few people looking for a pastel, so that's not a problem. I just like to think of potential problems well in advance.

Oh, one last thought--bumblebees seem to be flooding the market lately, as do spiders: do you think that soon a bumblebee will be as easy to come by as a pastel or spider? I mean, I'd like to produce something there's a market for (and I know lots of people love bumblebees) but I don't want to be making the same thing as everyone else, do you know what I mean?

What are your thoughts? I'm not asking "what should I buy", I'm asking your opinions and observations on the current and future markets regarding the two morphs, that's all. I think it might be easier to make my decision with your input, that's all.

Thanks!
    Brandi
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Bumblebee vs Pastave (not a "what to buy" thread)

Hi,

Couldn't you trade the morph combo you eventually make for others? Since you don't think you can keep them anyway mno one said they have to be sold for cash.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

to try and forecast markets and prices 2-3 years in advance is pretty hard.

alot has changed in the last 2,3 years.

there are plenty of morphs and plenty of buyers for each one.

i think we are still a long ways off from seeing $100.00 lucies in petco.

if you want to produce something rare or less common, work on some serious dinking projects or spend some big bucks$$ for the rare morphs.

my advice is to produce what you like, generally when we produce or sell something we really like. it shows...

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

and if you're worried about not being able to sell bees or pastaves at current market price, why do you need to? you said that you're not worried about making a bunch of money so if you can't sell them for market price, keep going down gradually. even if you only get $500, that's still profit! unless you want to become a serious breeder. that's a whole other ballgame!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

i picked up a spider and a pastel to make bees. and once i get one i don't really plan on selling it. i want it for my personal collection. then what i get from selling the extra spiders and pastels, i will pick up a hypo. then i can work on honeybees.

to me it sounded like you wern't worried about making money, then why would you need to sell the bees? if you like them so much i would expect you'd hold on to them.
    -Kevin

Thanks

It'd be a good idea to prioritize your goals when breeding BP's. First give them what they need, and treat them as companions. Think of them as pets first before merchandise. If you have a bumblebee or a Pastave, you don't need to make it a dead end of if you can sell it or not. Breed them cuz you want to make it happen for your own experience. Then think about selling it if you find them more beneficial to other's projects. it shoudln't be difficult as people make it seem to sell BP's. I know I woudln't want to be a subject of negotiation. That's how I like to think of it.

Just my .02
    Hi, I'm Tony
    1.1 Lemon Pastel - Timber, Lime
    0.1 Spider - Charlotte

Long term projects
    Baby Bees, Ivories, Super Pastels & Pewters

www.myspace.com/bumbabee

Thanks

http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=42627

Sound like you need to get pastaves......hehe.This is the Wess Harris from MKR...btw. Sorry to bring that up...I was just informed of this snake. it could be home for 3 separate things...or just one!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    i picked up a spider and a pastel to make bees. and once i get one i don't really plan on selling it. i want it for my personal collection. then what i get from selling the extra spiders and pastels, i will pick up a hypo. then i can work on honeybees.

to me it sounded like you wern't worried about making money, then why would you need to sell the bees? if you like them so much i would expect you'd hold on to them.
    I agree, but for me..i would keep the best to me and sell the rest...if no one buys then give them a way I dont care...I just want 1 of each if you know what I mean.

!| ~ JP ~ |!
    Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Ball Python: Samuel L. Jackson
    1.0 Pastel Red-Tail Boa: Twitch

Thanks

I'd rather have a pied, =P then to contribute to Wess or anything else having to do with MKR.

Quote Originally Posted by mricyfire
    I agree, but for me..i would keep the best to me and sell the rest...if no one buys then give them a way I dont care...I just want 1 of each if you know what I mean.
    Ditto JP!

We should hook each other up and help each other out!

I'll trade you my '10 bumble bee for your '10 Orange! :::score
    Hi, I'm Tony
    1.1 Lemon Pastel - Timber, Lime
    0.1 Spider - Charlotte

Long term projects
    Baby Bees, Ivories, Super Pastels & Pewters

www.myspace.com/bumbabee

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13
    http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=42627

Sound like you need to get pastaves......hehe.This is the Wess Harris from MKR...btw. Sorry to bring that up...I was just informed of this snake. it could be home for 3 separate things...or just one!
    I'm not sure if I like that or not - it looks... diseased somehow. Maybe when its got a bit of growth on it or something.

I wonder if the amount of pattern is variable like the piebald or predictable like spieds?

cool find duder.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast