Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,259

4 members and 3,255 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: African Soft Furs

Mike (McAdry) and I have a couple of WC adults that are doing quite well on the ASF's and one snake we've had since she was a hatchling. She's always been the most picky, ultra specific prey size snake I've ever seen. The ASF's have been a godsend with her as they fit the exact size that Rionnach will eat without me having to sort madly through the regular rat feeders to try to accommodate this snake.

While the rest of the collection will be fed regular rats, the ASF's are coming in very handy for some of the pickier ones and for the WC's (LTC I guess they could be called now).

I've only had one bite from an ASF and it was the male. He is very protective of his mates and their litters. I can't blame him for that and I just try to not trigger that when I deal with the breeding trio. I'm actually quite impressed on how much the male tends to the litters. It's quite common to see him over them, keeping them warm, doing the face and butt washing duties while the two females are off resting in another hide or getting something to eat or drink.

Little trick for catching an adult ASF. We did have one female get loose on us for 2 days. The way I caught her was to get her cornered, then lay down a large empty margine container on it's side in front of her only escape route. I just slapped the floor behind her and she instinctively ran for the "cover" of the plastic tub. Easy as pie to flip it upright, pop on the lid and get her safely back home again.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I'd love to start a colony for my picky eaters...But I can't seem to find any local to NJ?....

Thanks

Charlie, get hold of Heath (TekWarren) and see if he knows anyone in your area that breeds ASF's. Either that or come visit Toledo, OH.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

This is a timely thread resurrection. I just got 6.4.20ish (Two of the females have nursing litters) on Sunday from John at SuperSerpents and even though I've been reading Heath's ASF forum for month's in preparation, I'm still eager for more info.

In addition to the babies that came with the two moms, one of the other females was pregnant and gave birth the day after we got home, and despite the stress of travel seems to be doing okay with them. I was already careless enough to get bitten once, by the newest mom, and she was really quite forgiving...it was more of a warning nip, and didn't even break the skin. Much better than the couple of rat bites I've had, for sure.

So far, they seem relatively docile, and don't panic and gallop about like my mice do when I enter the room. John says that they have been really tame for him, and when we did the transfer we moved them all into my travel cages bare-handed and none of them nipped or seemed unduly alarmed.

I don't have any picky eaters to lure in, but I love the idea of a feeder rodent that never gets too big and doesn't smell as much as the rats or mice do.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

They do have a scent Jess, usually the day before weekly cleaning of their home (I always freshen up midweek and then totally clean on Sundays). It's not offensive or strong like mice and not like the regular rats either. I've been trying to ages to place it....reminds me of another scent but I'll be darned if I can figure out what that is.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    They do have a scent Jess, usually the day before weekly cleaning of their home (I always freshen up midweek and then totally clean on Sundays). It's not offensive or strong like mice and not like the regular rats either. I've been trying to ages to place it....reminds me of another scent but I'll be darned if I can figure out what that is.
    Four days in, the odor is developing and to me it smells dead-on for swine. However stereotypically repugnant that is, it is less offensive to me than the rancid mouse urine smell.

They are also just endearingly curious. Everytime I go in the room where they are, they rush over to the side of the cage. They have trained me to offer them small treats, which they snatch from my hands and then quarrel over. They are so demanding...they recognize me, and want to interact...it's completely different from the mice who after months of daily contact still bolt and won't take treats from me. Even if they never produce, they are pretty nifty pets.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    6.4.8 ASFs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    I agree, they do have a scent but it quite different than mice or rats. It's almost spicy to me . . . . .
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Four days in, the odor is developing and to me it smells dead-on for swine.
    Swine!? Something is not right then...I have had asf rats over a year now, and I used to raise hogs. I realize people's senses are different but mine have never smelled swine.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
    Swine!? Something is not right then...I have had asf rats over a year now, and I used to raise hogs. I realize people's senses are different but mine have never smelled swine.
    Well, my nose is notoriously bad..i may be missing the more subtle tones.
    ~Jess
    6.4.8 ASFs

Thanks

Just came across this thread today.

It's odd, but another thread (curse my absentmindedness) advises giving carrots, petting and getting them familiar with you. With this in mind, since I have picked up 1.2.0 from Jon, I have been feeding them slices of mango by hand..and petting them, so far no bites and they do let me pet them. (I keep them in the kitchen for now..until they start breeding and/or are used to me)

I started off my rats the same way (the new ones that come in are shy), feeding them treats by hand..using GLOVES to handle if I was uncomfortable with a rat until I got used to them. I can handle my rats without gloves, have only been nipped 2 times (if I recall correctly) by new rats and I promptly fed the nipper off. The rats I have now, can be fed by hand and patted briefly *I have never tried longer and I have no desire to hold them*

I can't remember where I got that care sheet, sorry.

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123