Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,342

3 members and 3,339 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Feeding and Housing Questions.....

I fed my ball python on saturday, july 28th, and he ate 3 fuzzies. He is around 16-20" so i thot this woold be enuff,but when i went to put my hand in to check the heat mat he bit. I was just wondering if maybe i shoold feed him another one 2day and start feeding him 4 when he feeds(until i run out, then ill switch to hoppers) ? Also, if ne1 has a macs creatures and critters small pet refuge, what size shoold i get for mine?

Thanks

Re: Feeding and Housing Questions.....

Rule for feeding should be 1 prey item that is as thick as the snakes thickest part. If anything it should be a little smaller than the thickest park of your snake. The fact that you were bit had nothing to do with the snake being hungry but more of the fact that he was in hunt mode and saw a warm hand to bite. BPs are opportunistic feeders and when they are young hatchlings they usually gobble up whatever is given to them. Too much food will lead to regurgitations and those are not fun to deal with.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Sounds like he's got a good feeding response. Feed him once a week, alot of babies will eat almost anytime they are offered but this is not reccomended. Also if you have been handling rodents or the small is still lingering you could easily be mistaken for food. Some small BP just stike out of a self defense mechanism. Try a rat pup. That should be a better meal, fuzzies are more for hatchlings, they are very small.

Thanks

I knew it cooldn't possibly still be hungry, and i have read that they're oppurtunistic feeders so i thot that he woold eat even if he wasn't. And as for the bite, i made sure t wash my hand b4 sticking them into his tank and i knew it wooldn't attack it witout reason. I cooldn't leave ne doubt nd jus had to make sure, thnx.