Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

2 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Cool Heat Pad on side of tank

Hello everyone, I am new to the BP community and a new owner of a beautiful ball python. I bought a huge tank for him, and it came with a heating pad on the side of the tank. It seems less efficient (heat will escape the exposed side of the pad) than an underbody heating pad. So here's my question..

Is there much of a difference between having the heating element on the side rather than the bottom of the tank?

And would I be safe in unsticking it from the side and moving it to the bottom? I'm not sure if this is specifically made for the side of a tank, or if it even matters at all.

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks

Re: Heat Pad on side of tank

First, welcome to the land of Ball Python!

Ok, how big is huge? Also, how old is your new BP? Regardless, the tank probably shouldn't be any larger than a 30gal even for an adult.

As far as the UTH on the side, I had mine there for a while before I decided to start using cypress mulch bedding for humidity and placed one on bottom. Side works well, and if it's a zoomed or other such brand, the heat only really goes one way and does not escape the other side. As long as you have a good thermostat or at least a rheostat for it, you should be fine.
    Taking it off...well there have been few successes of having them work after peeling, but it can happen. My advice would be to get another pad and apply it underneath if that's the way you have to go should side not work for you.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It's not TOO big of a tank. Its maybe 3'x1.5'. I looked into how big I should go before I bought the snake, but I didn't want to have to replace his tank after a few months so I just got one that will suit his needs for a long time. The side mounted heat pad is working fine, it actually raised the temp in his cage to 85 degrees at all times, whereas it was 80 before. I'm loving this snake already, he just seems so content and happy. But the other day I noticed a problem..

I found out 2 days ago that my snake has a horrible mite infestation. I bought him from a local pet shop 4-5 days ago, and called them about it. They said that the mites didn't come from their shop, which IMHO is impossible, being as I had only had the snake for 2 days when i noticed them. I've placed an order for P-A-M and have him soaking in non-soapy water to relieve the itching and rehydrate him (not necessarily to kill the mites).

The pet shop lost a potentially great customer, and will lose many more if they keep it up. The supposed "reptile guy" who helped me with the snake didn't know jack about snakes. He recommended some oil to kill the mites (which doesn't seem to work based on my research on the net), and after I told him that they should take care of the problem being as the mites came from their shop, he kinda got defensive with me.

Don't worry Thor, the Chz will nurse you back to health no problemo!

Thanks

I worked at a Petsmart for a while...so I know how the whole pet store thing goes. Glad things are working for ya, and good luck with the PAM.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'