Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

1 members and 3,077 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrified

Thanks

Terrified

So when i got home last night, i went to have a little handling time with Rex, looked around for him first, no sign of him...so i take everything out of his cage, and i'm just like, NO WAY, second day of having him and he's gone? How?! So as i just sit staring in his cage i'm like, well...maybe he's buried himself, and sure enough 30 mins later i find him under the aspen, hanging out.

Do they usually do this?

Thanks

Re: Terrified

If you've got enough aspen in there that it took 30 minutes to find him. I can take a pretty good guess why he's burrowing.

The temps you've got your uth I'm assuming set at aren't reaching the surface. So he's burrowing to find the heat. And in order to get the correct temps on top of a lot of substrate would be so high. That if he did burrow again and touched the glass or bottom of the tub. Hed get burned.

Try less substrate. Like a half inch or so. And set your thermostat at the recommended temps. That way there's no chance or him getting burned. And he can also burrow to the bottom if he wishes.

Should save you a little time in trying to find him too.

Are you providing any kinds of hides? Granted boas aren't as shy as balls. I think having a hide especially as a baby is important. Maybe he was stressed and wanted to hide.

Sorry for the long post. But just my 2 pennies.

Thanks

I guess i was kind of exagerating with the whole 30 mins, i probably have about half an inch of aspen in it, so there's not alot...it was more or less that long because i was just wondering what could of happened, my BP is as sly as a fox and he never gets out, now here the second day of having the RTB i think he got out.

I have 2 hides, one on each side, he hasn't used them yet though, he usually just chills in his tree or something.

88 degrees on the warm side?

Thanks

Sorry but my husband and I are chuckling at this. We went through the EXACT same thing but with a 5 foot female BCI rescue. Okay you ask, how in holy hell can five feet of thick bodied snake disappear....well they can and it gives you a flat out heart attack! LOL Here's photographic proof...

This is that big female - though by this pic she'd grown to just a tad over 6 feet.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

OMG! that's toooo funny! I've done the VERY same thing!!!! Petey's done it in his bedding, and he's about 4'. Wrigley STILL does it, and he's 2 years old and about 4#, 5' long.....and he STILL manages to dig enough to bury all but the thickest of his body and his snoot poking out!

He uses his large igloo hides, sometimes burrowing while inside them, and sometimes burrowing when along the sides of his tub.

Petey hides or even still hangs in his tree, which is hilarious seeing all these chunky loops of snake just hanging off the tree...but he's loved his tree since Day 1.

Apollo and Pinky T just push the aspen to the side and don't use their hides at all, so I took them out. They love to lay in a coil in the corner or looped around their water bowls.

(88* will work, but I've got them set similar to the BPs @ 92-94* warm side)
    I've had the heart attack too. Perfectly understandable!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

My mom RTB LOVES to barie herself into her dirt. More than usual when she is about to shed.

Thanks

Weird. My BCC Carmen has never burrowed...but then she loves hides (and weeing in her hide and then marinating in it...I love snakes).
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

I think they are all different that way. Rauri loved to bury herself and refused to use any hide I gave her while with us. Severus loves his one big black plastic bowl hide and only occasionally buries himself. Diego the one we are snake sitting never burrows and is about half in the hide and about half just lazing about out in the open.

Oh btw, just so you can all laugh at my expense. When that picture was taken of Rauri buried, I had already run about screaming "the big snake is loose, the big snake is loose" and started to search the room. Then....(yes I'm a bit slow somedays)...it occurred to me....

"okay Joanna....how did the big snake get out of her enclosure...then turn around...slid the lid back....and put both lid locks back in place so nicely...without thumbs!!!!"....oh.....ummmm....

It was about then I noticed her face peeking out at me and I ran for the camera.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Yup! Mine has done that before.. stopped my heart!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Haha, what great stories!

And good to know, because i almost cried, glad to see it's not uncommon!

This snake is so much fun! Don't get me wrong, i love my BP, but this snake is just awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast