Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

1 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: New Sav Monitor

Thanks

New Sav Monitor

So my g/f's cousin has to get rid of her monitor, i believe its about 18in. female. She doesnt want to sell so she's giving it to us so she can still see it. So now im reading all i can about them, i have a general idea i read a little about them but decided to get a tegu so i read all about them. I have a arg b/w tegu now, so untill i get my reptile room done my room is ganna be a bit cramped.

So anyway wondering if anyone had any pointers about savanah monitors.
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    3.2 bp-bonez, bonny, Klyde, Cheech, Chong
    0.0.3 cresties- Biggie, and Tupac, peetree
    0.0.1 leapard - littlefoot
    Im getting there.....

Thanks

Re: New Sav Monitor

Savs are my fav monitors.

I used to have one when I was young but didnt realize how big they got and the pet store failed to mention.

Once he out grew a 20 gallon I traded him in to a reptile store in Philly for an baby ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Eat alot. And many things. I fed mine worms, crickets, mice, rats; attempted hard-boiled eggs and mealworms, but no go. Need a basking spot of about 120F-130F.

What's it being kept in fot the time being?

Thanks

ok well i got the monitor, i have to get pictures i feel bad, first thing, this kid tells me he thinks its 4years old an its like 18in. long, i dont if thats normal but it didnt sound right to me, they had him in a rabit cage, hes got some shed stuck to him which im trying to help him with, and this kid was handleing him while sheding and its like trying to bite him and hes still holding it, it feels so skinny, and he said its not active it just like sleeps, so im trying to help it out.
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    Im getting there.....

Thanks

btw my g/f pointed out when it opens its mouth the throat is like black with a bluish tint, the tongue is also that color.
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    Im getting there.....

Thanks

Let me start out by saying I am no expert on Sav's. I am letting you know what has worked well for me.

Baby savs have blue tongues, they lose the blue as they get older. Mine is about 4 years old, just over 2-2 1/2 feet and lost the last of the blueish tint I would guess about 6 months ago or so. I use a organic dirt/ sand mixture as my substrate (80/20) as it holds burrows much better than most other substrates. Check out Daniel Bennetts book, it has alot of great info.

Rodents, dusted crickets (again when they get older, less crickets and gut load them first), occasional mealworms (not often, not really nutritious), hissing cockroaches (a BIG favorite) are what I feed mine and she is healthy as can be. Be careful though, they are prone to obesity, especially if left in a small enclosure with no room to move around. Mine is very active, which in Savs is a good sign. They do need a good bit of space, don't expect to keep it in a 55 gallon, they really need a custom enclosure as they get fairly large and need to thermoregulate. Also, they like to use their water area as a restroom, so try for something large enough for them to fit into. As far as temps, don't let the cool area drop below 75* and they need a basking area around 110*, overall temp should be between 85-95*. Hides are very much appreciated and will be used quite a bit.
    Savs don't shed in one peice, I do try to keep my enclosure somewhere around 35% humidity wise to help with shedding. To do that, I add water to the soil every few days. You don't want it soaking wet, but too dry for too long is not good either. Mine seems to enjoy the occasional swim in the tub or kiddie pool outside too.
    Thats what I can think of off hand. Hope some of it helps
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

thanx i appreciate the help. im suprized i thought humidity had to be higher than 35 like other monitors and such. its not active and looks really skinny. Are megaworms ok to feed? ive been trying to find roaches but been haveing trouble.
    thanx for the help.
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    Im getting there.....