Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,167

1 members and 3,166 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

So what would the odds be?

I was thinking, hets are all over, and you don't even know it unless it comes from a company that knows exactly what it is. But out in the wild, the snakes don't take role and pair up with other hets, just they find a mate and bingo, got kids. Was wondering, has there ever been a documented case where someone had a normal and they bred it to a het and it turned out the "normal" was a het as well? Simply due to dumb luck of course. What would the odds of that be? Not like its completely impossible, just not provable.

Thanks

Re: So what would the odds be?

that is how some morphs are first produced. an importer brings in a load of snakes, and breeds then, hoping to get a morph. sometimes they do.

on the other side, a lot of morph were found in the wild, and then imported. but some snakes that had a special look to them were imported breed and turned out the trait was genetic.

as for finding a het in a pet store the odds are near impossible.
    -Kevin

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    that is how some morphs are first produced. an importer brings in a load of snakes, and breeds then, hoping to get a morph. sometimes they do.
    I've never heard of anyone importing CH normals, and then breeding them "hoping" to get a morph. And then sometimes do? Do you know who? I've not heard of that either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    as for finding a het in a pet store the odds are near impossible.
    The local Petland here has rtb's marked 'het for albino'...should there be some paperwork included with the purchase? They're double the price of the normals. Also, would that mean they're 100% het for albino?
    0.2.0 red eared sliders
    1.0.0 Three toed box turtle
    1.0.0 ball python
    1.0.0 common boa
    1.0.0 dumbo rat

Thanks

I would def demand paper work to show they are het.

Thanks

i don't know anyone personally, but isn't that why people participate in a ball python lottery. hoping to find that normal that has a genetic trait hidden away. i might have mess up what i was trying to get at, but i got the idea that importers get ch babies raise them up and breed them to know hets and see if anything pops out.

as for finding a het in a pet store... i ment finding an unmarked het. like buying a normal and finding out it is het for something when you breed it. i am sure there are alot of pet stores selling hets (or what they are told are het.. see het for spider thread).
    -Kevin

Thanks

im going to use the crystal as an example. it was a mojave bred to a " wild type " normal female that produced the crystal the female has not been shown to the public YET but what ever trait she has produced it. i dont know if this was wild caught female or not though but have been told it wasnt a het of any sort

if you cant afford to take care of it, dont get it

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ralph davis accidentakky proved his caramel albino to be het for clown. you can see it in his 06 birthing records i think it is clutch #48

and someone i know proved his "high yellow" to be het for ghost
    completely by accident he wanted to make high yellow het for ghost so that in the long run he could get high yellow ghosts but instead he hatched out ghosts... lucky bastard
    Joe
    #1 Lurker...
    working with Phantom, Black Head, Cypress, Special, Lesser, Het Daddy, Leopard, Spotnose, YB, OD, Hypo, Desert Ghost and Clown.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    I've never heard of anyone importing CH normals, and then breeding them "hoping" to get a morph. And then sometimes do? Do you know who? I've not heard of that either.
    Robin, and all others,
    Here is an example of blind luck. John Piro, JPR, in 05 bred his Het Lavender Albino male to a couple Normal CH females, to make some Poss. Hets for his project. One of the normal females gave him 2 female Lavender Albinos.

To this day, I continue to dream that I will hit the jackpot one day, but it hasn't happened yet.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog