Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,353

3 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

nicaraguan, hog island breeders?

Who are some reputable breeders I can buy either a nic or hog island boa from. I have look and am getting rather frustrated find these localities.

I am not looking for any morphs or hets, just a nice boa that will stay rather small for me to love

Thanks

Re: nicaraguan, hog island breeders?

I would start with:

- Gus at Rio Bravo Reptiles
    - Sean or Celia at Exotics by Nature

Both are very reputable and have quality boas. If neither of them have any available, they may have some good recommendations for other breeders. =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

where have you looked? and what's reputable? like jeff ronne reputable(hint hint)? But what are you actually looking for? Gus has both, but there are many that do one of the other.
    Mike

Thanks

By reputable I mean someone who I can be assured will send me a healthy animal that is what it as sold as. And pretty much I just want a BCI locality that will stay smaller then a cloumbian. And breeders that do either hogs or nics is fine.

I have looked on kingsnake and a few breeders site, but none that really stood out.

Thanks

The extra foot wont really make a difference, and I know some wise person will make some comment, but majority of the time, if a boa will have a nasty disposition it will be a Nicaraguan or Hogg island rather then a Colombian.

I'm not saying all Nics and Hoggs are nasty, or that all Colombians are tame, but Ive read a lot of cases of Hoggs can have nasty cage aggression.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whyteboi
    The extra foot wont really make a difference, and I know some wise person will make some comment, but majority of the time, if a boa will have a nasty disposition it will be a Nicaraguan or Hogg island rather then a Colombian.

I'm not saying all Nics and Hoggs are nasty, or that all Colombians are tame, but Ive read a lot of cases of Hoggs can have nasty cage aggression.

What the hell are you talking about, now you're just making it up... right, right you heard it from a guy, sorry my fault.

Anyway, for a hogg try jeff ronne, try Paul Mitchell, try Gus or try Vin Russo. THere are other people to go look at, but unless the person can give you history then you can never be sure if the hog is pure, or whatever, ask aleesha, she bought her Drake as a pure hog, but he's not. For Nics, look around, they're kinda spotty CB, because there many don't keep them pure it would seem, although Snake Keeper has some, as does uhhhhh, names escaping me at the moment, but I'll get back to you. If you find WC/farmed imported then ask for CITES documents if you want, because they'll tell you country of origin. I have CB nics, and I have a friend who is selling some of his nics, but they're not normals, so probably quite a bit more than you're looking to pay. Other than that, look around, and if you see ads for nics talk to the person and try and figure out what their deal is, and if they seem legit.
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    What the hell are you talking about, now you're just making it up... right, right you heard it from a guy, sorry my fault.
    I got it from red tail forums...

let me paste some replies I got from a boa forum (unlike people talking about Boas on a BP forum, who most likely don't know as much. Sucks when I actually do my research, doesn't it )

This guy has been a member on boa forums for 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
    "Columbian" and "Central American" are just the common, slang, names for the same thing, Boa Constrictor Imperator, which is what most people think of when they are talking about Boas.

Hogg Island and Nicaraguan boas are Locality specific "breeds" of BCI. Personally, I wouldn't recommend either. Yes, they tend to stay smaller than "normal" BCI, but their dispostions tend to be worse, in some cases, much worse.

I think you're best bet is a plain BCI. Yes, they may get a little bigger than 6.5ft, but they are normally very docile, and that extra foot won't make any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
    Let me ask you this: Which would you be more afraid of? a 7ft normal that was very docile and handlable, or a 5.5ft hogg that's going to bite the crap out of you every time you try to handle it?

My point is this, if you think you're going to be apprehensive, go with the boa that is going to be least aggressive. Which, I'm willing to bet, will be the normal 7footer.

And either would be perfectly comfortable in a 4ft x 2ft cage btw.
    And to also prove my point, I will type this word for word from the Boa Constrictor Manual just to prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by The Boa Constrictor Manual
    Docility

Some generalizations can be made about the temperament of boa constrictors. Generally, Colombian boa constrictors have the most docile temperament, while imported Mexican and Central American boas tend to be more nervous and aggressive. "Aggressive" behaviors in boa constrictors, such as striking and biting, are typically defensive reactions to perceived threats.

Many of the insular forms of boa constrictors, such as the Hogg Island, clouded, and St. Lucia boas, tend to be aggressive. All forms of boa constrictors are more decile and easily handled when raised from captive born neonates.
    Honestly stop talking like you know everything, because obviously you don't. This book was co-authored by Jeff Ronne. All I made were generalizations, not facts.

Thanks

I'll admit, Erin is a good guy. And I don't act like I know everything because I don't, at all. But you make wild claims with nothing to back them up. Nics have a reputation simply because they're mostly WC or farmed. Usually CB animals will be tamer, it's just how it goes. You say hog's are as docile as Colombians? not true, where'd you pull that one from. The part from the book that you seem to not notice is he's talking about IMPORTS, you highlighted only the parts that suited your arguments, and glossed over what didn't suit you, which was the import parts.
    My point was your generalizations suck. CB animals as a whole are calmer, even nics. You speak like nics are the devil, and like you've ever had any experience with them, and you have not. Currently I have 7 nics, 5 FARMED IMPORTED bluefields and 2 CB normal nics. I think I have a whole lot more experience than you do on this particular subject, so how bout we just leave it at that. You make biased generalizations, and you're afraid of nics because you don't deal with them and I have 7.

You shouldn't discredit a person's question, because you have an irrational fear of the snake in question, that's just ridiculous.

BTW, I'm on this forum most because it's the most active, I post elsewhere as well, so nice one.
    Mike

Thanks

Owned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel
    Owned.

Unrelated : qik your PM box is full.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast