Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

2 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Cool side..

Thanks

Cool side..

So my tub is still set up w/ no snake. Humidity: 52%, Warm side: 92*, Cool side: 87*(day) 78*(night).

There's not much of difference in the warm and cool side. I should be getting my BP tomorrow as long as the breeder ships it today like he said he would. I'd like to get this fixed before then obviously, if it's a huge problem.
    Is there anything I can/should do for the cool side? This is the only time of the year where daytime highs hit 100* and it'll last for about two weeks. Should I just wait? Let me know.. thanks!

Mike
    2.3 Balls

Thanks

Re: Cool side..

that is a pretty dramatic swing, but everything else sounds like it's coming along. what are you using to control temps? the way i read it, it sounds like the ambient temps in your house fluctuate, and thats why the cool side is off. if you can find a better climate controlled room might be the best way, at least till these swings are done.

and i wouldn't be to dramatically worried. it sounds like your getting a hatchling snake, and some breeders actually keep their hatchlings and one temp all around. once they get a little older, and in a bigger tub (most breeders use 6qt tubs for babies) they have a gradient for them. so it might be a good plan to just wait it out. it's not really hurting the snake, as long as their is still a 90˚ side at night.

well hope this helps.
    -Kevin

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1212
    So my tub is still set up w/ no snake. Humidity: 52%, Warm side: 92*, Cool side: 87*(day) 78*(night).
    Are you intentionally doing something to drop the temps at night? If so, there is no need for that. Ideally, you want to maintain the same temps 24/7. So my suggestion would be to use whatever nighttime setup you have all the time. But make sure the temps don't go any lower than that...you want to try and keep 'em as close to 80 as you can.
    -- Judy

Thanks

from how i read it it was the ambient temps in his house that swing at night. but if it is from turning off a heat light, i would leave it on. if it a lamp that gives off light, i would switch to a ceramic heating element or an infrared bulb. snakes can't see infrared light, so it won't bother them. then you can leave it on 24/7 to maintain temps.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Mike what you could do is cover him up with a nice warm blanket to cover the tub and that should help keep the tub warm, and assuming you have a thermostat, your warm side will always remain 92. Plus it may add to more privacy even though it may be at night. Good luck and hope you get your BP tomorrow! I still remembered how it felt like.. the anticipation is unbearable
    Hi, I'm Tony
    1.1 Lemon Pastel - Timber, Lime
    0.1 Spider - Charlotte

Long term projects
    Baby Bees, Ivories, Super Pastels & Pewters

www.myspace.com/bumbabee

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The problem isn't that the temps are too cool....it's that they're not cool enough...at least during the day. That was the issue I was addressing. 78 is a tad cooler than ideal, but it's far better than the snake never being able to escape near-90 degree temps all the time.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Exactly. Too hot all day. I have to open every window in my house to keep from suffocating! Therefore, whatever the temps are outside, they're really close to that inside. I'm not changing anything. I don't have any lamps or other heat sources that are going on and off. Just a UTH and thermostat. The only thing I've done is put a fan in the room. I'm not willing to waste the money on an AC to try to cool the room down because I'm moving into "new housing" in a month w/ central air. WOoo. Well, I guess I'd be willing if it was a matter of life or death.. I'm just dumb and didnt know if there was some kind of trick to cooling that side down- that might be easier than trying to cool my house down.
    2.3 Balls

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh....I have a better picture of the situation now.

In that case, I would not even turn the UTH on during the day. If you'll be moving into a new home within a month, I'm sure the snake will be able to tolerate warm temps during the day and cooler temps at night...until you get in a situation where you have better control over the ambient temps. Or, you could just wait until you get to the new place before getting a snake.

The temps swinging so drastically between day and night MIGHT cause the snake to not eat...but so long as you get a healthy animal that already has some weight on him (not a sad little import that probably hasn't eaten or had a drink for a month anyhow) he'll likely do just fine even if he doesn't eat for a few weeks.

Were I in your shoes, though...I'd just wait until all the moving was over and done with and I was settled into my new home before trying to bring a new pet in that has specific environmental needs. That's just me, though. Good luck with it, whichever route you decide to take!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh...one more thought to add...

You say you have a t-stat hooked up to your UTH. If you set that to say...85-ish...it should stay off during the day when the ambient temps are on the high side....then come on at night to help keep the overall cage temps from dropping too low.
    -- Judy

Thanks

i agree with judy about just waiting. once you get your snake and give him a week to settle in, you'll be moving, then you'll have to start all over again with him getting adjusted.
    -Kevin