Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

3 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Improved (?) setup question

So here's the question... do you guys weigh down your plastic hides? I was going off advice on the forums and got him two identical hides, one for the cool side and one for the warm side. The problem is when he goes into them he moves them around!! I have always used a coconut and a rock until now, and they were heavier.

Also, the log is only in there since he's shedding- his skin is kind of wrinkly and really light... I'm just happy his eyecaps came off right away this time, even though he looks funny having a dark head and light body!

Can anyone else think of stuff I am lacking here? The pics don't really show it, but that's a Fluker thermo/hygrometer combo and there are also strip thermos on the sides of the tank (I'm going to upgrade to a thermo with probes soon).

Also, he was scheduled to feed yesterday and we held off until the shed. Has anyone else fed during this time? This is his first full shed with us and I don't want to mess with him too much or interfere with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Improved (?) setup question

The hides could still be a bit smaller, but other than that, they're fine. It doesn't matter if they want to rearrange their own stuff a bit. Whatever makes 'em "happy."

You'll definitely want to upgrade the thermometers soon. The stickon strips are less than worthless...and the digital one you have doesn't look like it's doing you much good except maybe to give you an idea of the general ambient humidity. It doesn't really tell you anything about what the temps are where the snake is actually living, which is in and around those hides. The temps (and even the humidity) can vary quite a bit there.
    -- Judy

Thanks

i purposely only have 1 hide, because my guy moves his hide to either the hot or cold side! haha
    1.2 Het Ghost, Frank; Normals, Delilah and No-Name
    1.0 African Clawed Frog, Casper
    2.0 Sliders, Stewie and Spike

Thanks

You know I wouldn't even bother with the log the edge of the water bowl should be good enough. Also you should try misting more often I think your humidity is a little low. It should all go in 1 piece.

I would go ahead and buy a Infrared Thermometer http://www.pro-products.com/miteandtemp.html#quickTEMP there is a link to the one I use. its small and the pen case is metal makes it more durable than the plastic ones. I think pro-exotics also sells them. They are well worth the investment. Not that they cost that much.

Don't worry about moving of the hide as he thermo regulates he will move his hide to fell safe and the right temp

also bring you thermometer more down to the level he lives on. With it way up there it isn't telling you much. Hope that makes sense

Chuck

Thanks

just in case you want things to look a little nicer. you could go to a craft store and pick up some scrap booking paper, with leaves, grass, plants, all sorts of stuff. that way you can cover the tank and make it look appealing. and defiantly look into an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe. an acurite at walmart $12. that will help out alot better then an IR temp gun. with the gun you have to check it all the time since temps fluctuate with out anything monitoring the heating element, unless you have a thermostat (which i don't see).
    -Kevin

Thanks

I am sorry I presumed you had a thermostat running your heat. I guess I shouldn't presume stuff. If you don't that is top priority. You know the Acurite thermometer work pretty well. Mine kept getting pulled into the water dish. An Infrared Thermometer is far more accurate at measuring the temp of an object than a thermometer some time by as much as 5 degrees better. Still keep that thermometer you have but I would use it as a gauge. Just my 2 cents

Chuck

Thanks

yea i have an IR thermometer and i only really use it when i am setting up tubs, or giving things a monthly check up. most of the time i just glance in and look at the acurite, instead of opening the drawer and bothering the snake just to check the temp.

but yes i'll stress again to the original poster, you need a thermostat to control a UTH. they have been known to spike to temps of 110˚+, which can and will burn your little scaled friend. a rheostat (lamp dimmer) will also work but not as well as thermostat will.
    -Kevin