Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

1 members and 3,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

So all I have to do is...

Since I'm getting my new BP to settle in, I moved him downstairs into my brother's room since he is away on a trip for two weeks thus minimizing foot traffic, noise, or any sort of lighting.

So I just wanted to ask all I have to do is literally leave him alone for a week right? I put him down there just this past Saturday and won't do anything with him or his tub till next Sunday. All I have to do is leave him in there right? Several of you have seen the enclosure, and said it was perfect so that shoudln't be an issue.

Do I have to change the water even though he doesn't touch it? Also after I get him to eat and everything, can I move him back upstairs where it may be a little bit noisier compared to downstairs (T.V., talking, for a portion of the day)?

Thanks for the click

P.S. - he's in the process of shedding last time I checked, and I'm too scared to check now because I might bother him and have to start the 7 day all over again.
    Hi, I'm Tony
    1.1 Lemon Pastel - Timber, Lime
    0.1 Spider - Charlotte

Long term projects
    Baby Bees, Ivories, Super Pastels & Pewters

www.myspace.com/bumbabee

Thanks

Re: So all I have to do is...

It's fine to check on him Tony. You need to make sure his temps and humidity are stable anyways and if he's shed, that the shed was complete. As well you will want to freshen up his water once that week. Just make any interactions very quiet and gentle, and do what you need to do quickly.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Leaving him alone for a week doesn't mean you should neglect him

If he soils his tub, go ahead and clean it out. I clean all water bowls every 3 days, no matter what.

Thanks

We've got 4 07 hatchlings in quarantine right now Tony. Even though they are technically past the first week with us and are eating we still don't bother them much. It's actually kind of cute when one of the little wigglers hisses at me while I'm tidying up their homes. One little one actually nipped my husband last week....what a laugh! She's very full of herself and thinks she's a big mean snake I guess LOL. Not a shy baby at all that one.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I'd have to try very hard to neglect him. It's impossible to leave him alone when you're me =(

He's my first serpent :-P
    Hi, I'm Tony
    0.1 Spider - Charlotte

Long term projects

www.myspace.com/bumbabee

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think the whole leave him alone for a week thing just means to keep the inturuptions to a minimum. When I brought my boy home I pretty much just kept an eye on his temps and humidity and changed his water every two days for the first week. After you get 1 or two feedings with him I would say its OK to have a couple short handling sessions with your snake. Just don't overdo it the first few weeks while the snake is settling in.

Thanks

I haven't fed him once yet. I did try two times, but didn't work out well. Anyway, his last feeding was last Sunday before I got him. I tried on Friday because I'm trying to change it to Friday, but he didn't take it so I'm going to try again this Friday on another F/T one last try because he has been feeding on live hopper prior to me owning him, and I just can't get a hold of mice that small around here unless I get lucky on timing.

Quick question, when I feed him, should I wait till he finishes shedding (even if that means waiting ANOTHER week at 2+ months) and if I DO try to feed him, do I remove his hide? or do I just do the procedure with everything the way it is.

I really don't want to leave the dead mouse in there over night, I can imagine it will stink, so I hope he eats it when I am giving the ritual dance.
    Hi, I'm Tony
    0.1 Spider - Charlotte

Long term projects

www.myspace.com/bumbabee

Thanks

it will stink... but thats how they like it, smelling like mouse

and i wouldn't remove the hide with feeding. snakes are ambush predators, so they like a sense of hiding. he'll more then likely take the mouse and pull it back into the hide to eat it. my guy feeds from his hide almost every time i feed him.

i don't understand the question about waiting another week at 2+ months? most snakes won't eat in shed cause they can't see and feel vulnerable, but once he finishes his shed you can go ahead and try to feed him.
    -Kevin

Thanks

good luck with him =) lucky to have a lemon pastel for firts serpent most people have normals if they start with BP's.
    1 norm BP - monty - Male.

g0 BpS

Thanks

Sorry Kevin, when I said at about 2+ months, I meant his age. He was born on 5/10 of this year.
    Hi, I'm Tony
    0.1 Spider - Charlotte

Long term projects

www.myspace.com/bumbabee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast