Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

1 members and 3,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is it Shedding time.

i think i got it now i put the digi probe in bad spot for some reason the heat mat dont get as hot and one end as it does the other end. i moved it over right under his hidei n corner and it jumped to 92

Thanks

cept now its reading 102 which is not good so i turned down the thermostat to 90 and then ill check the reading in 2 cycles. i got the probe now on the heat mat outside. its workin nwo i got the digi probe in a good spot.

Thanks

alright it got so hot cuz the thermostat probe was on inside once i put it outside it shut off and its at 96.5 and droping.

Thanks

Boo ya got her. digi thermometer reads 93.2 at surface of glass on inside and the thermostat turned off when it hit that gass isnt hot its lil warm but not let get go in its cycle and itll be all good like gravy

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Remember when I asked you if the mat got hotter in some spots more than others? You should have answered.

Older heat mats tend to develop hot spots as they begin to fail - its quite rare to get them on new mats (though it can happen).

I hate to tell you dude but you would be far better off throwing all the stuff your using into a corner and buying a tub and a new heatmat ( flexwatt is good) that can reliably hold the desired temps and is the right size for the enclosure.

It helps if you think of keeping reptiles like keeping fish in certain ways - you don't keep fish you keep water and the fish just happen to live in it.

The good news is this doesn't have to be expensive as tubs and flexwatt are relatively inexpensive and you already have the expensive component which is the thermostat.

You can keep plugging away with what you have but, to be honest, it's never going to be ideal or even trustworthy with that mat and you will probably spend months trying to get it right.

Wait, just read your last post.

How does the thermostat probe get from outside to inside?? have you got a poltergeist?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

no it was inside to help raise the temp but it got too hot at the surface og the galss so i moved it out onto the mat and it is now turning off at 95.4 and turning on at 92.1. it was my fault rason if felt hotter in one spot cuz that spot was where the main power was comin in from which heats up faster than the other end. the mat in like 2 weeks old. its heating up evenly now when its one. plus my fan was going too. but thansk for the help. its doing great not jsut liek u descirbed in earlier posts. anything else stirs up ill let ya guys kno

Thanks

heres the new tank. the white stuff you see around the divider is a clay i found . heres 2 pics of the new setup and a pic of the clay im useing on the divier. a herp todl me this stuff is good .

Thanks

Hi,

Well I asked someone better informed than myself for prices on a baby tub setup;

A baby tub - $3 at Dollar General
    Soldering Wand - $10
    Flexwatt - $4-6 wired
    Thermostat - $75 ( I think you said you had a zoomed one?)
    AcuRite - $12 (I think you said you had one of these as well?)
    Hides using cereal bowls from Dollar Tree $.25
    Water Crock at Walmart - $3

So basically you could have an absolutely perfect setup for him for $22.50 or $12.50 if you already have a soldering wand or drill ( be carefull if you use a drill though to avoid cracking).

Now given that time is also valuable and how long you have spent doing this already doesn't the tub sound like a better alternative?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

O.K.

Can't find detailed information on their site about exactly how safe that clay is but I'm willing to beleive them, slightly, on the non-toxic thing. On the site they say it sticks easily to wood,canvas and other materials so you might want to keep an eye on it to see how well it actually holds to glass.

At some point your snake is going to go right over the top of that divider.

Depending on whether or not he needed the vines etc on the other side to do it might mean he can't get back. I realise he looks waaay to small to do that just now but you won't beleive what these little wrigglers can do.

How is the lid held on? These things are hellacious little escape artists so your going to want to have that fixed down fairly well.

How is the humidity holding up as that's traditionally one of the problem areas with glass tanks?

dr del
    Derek

Thanks

yea it would of been easier but i love the sceniery i get form the tank and tubs are not for me really but im lookin to get more BP's and a boa constrictor down the line when Rex is bigger. then ill be useing tubs.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast