Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

0 members and 3,212 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Smile A Pet's Point of View

I got this in a email today and just had to pass it on and share it. I thought it was beautifully written and very right on!

Hello! I am your pet! I have some basic requirements for my care. I deserve to have a beautiful life. Please remember that I am subject to your whims and cannot make choices for myself. If you cannot meet these expectations, please find me a home that can.

1) I need a vet! Just like humans need a doctor, I need my own that knows how I work and what I need. I may never get sick, but I should still see the vet at least once a year, just to make sure I'm doing well. There will be times when something is wrong and you will not have the knowledge bought with a veterinary degree. In these times, you must take me to the person with the degree. If you would rather spend the money on something else, please find me a home that cares enough about me to take me to the doctor.

2) I need quality food, water, and shelter. Just like you, I have been adapted to a world where I need to live indoors to be protected from the elements. I also need to have food prepared for me, as the hunting/foraging skills of my ancestors have been bred out of me to make me a better pet. Remember, I am no longer like my wild ancestors and cannot live as they do. Please find out the proper food and housing for me and provide it for me. If you cannot, please find me a home that wants me to live a long, protected life.

3) I need exercise. Just like you, I will get fat and sick if I do not get plenty of space to stretch. This may mean providing me with a safe wheel, giving me toys to chase after, or taking me on walks. If you do not have time for this, please find me a home that has time to let me stretch my legs.

4) I need entertainment. Just like you, if I sit in a box all day with no stimulation, I will become bored and angry. If I have things to do all day, I will be a more active pet when you come home and want to interact with me. If you cannot provide me with toys that will stimulate my mind, please find me a home that will appreciate my wonderful personality and its needs.

5) I need to be trained. Just like you, I need to know the rules of the house. There are some things I cannot control, such as needing to go potty. I may even kick my poos out onto your carpet. This does not make me "bad." There are things that you can teach me. I understand my name. I know who you and my other care-takers are. If you spend time with me and teach me, I will make a splendid pet. If you cannot spend enough time with me to help me fit into your household, please find me a home that has time to show me the ropes, and will understand that there are certain things about me that are "just the way they are."

6) I need to be cleaned up after. Just like you, if I live in filth, I will become ill. I do not have the gift of opposable thumbs that can wield cleaning supplies. I need you to do this for me. I am not "dirty." Just like every other animal on this planet, I have no choice but to make eliminations. If this is too much work for you, please find me a home where they understand that my health and happiness are worth the time it takes to clean up after me.

7) I need grooming. Just like you, my hair, skin, nails and teeth need to be looked after. I may be able to do a lot of this myself, but I still need you to make sure I'm looking my best. If I don't, I may have a medical problem. I may also have special requirements because of the qualities that have been bred into me. I did not choose to have long hair/wrinkly skin/whatever. You chose me for this quality so you need to be sure that you know how to take care of it properly. If you do not have the skills or time to learn them in order to take care of me properly, please find me a knowledgeable home that has the time to take proper care of my appearance.

8) I need to be loved. Just like you, I crave affection and attention. Please understand that I may not be affectionate in the way that you expect. If I don't like to be hugged, it doesn't mean that I don't like to be petted. Sometimes, just being near you is enough for me. If you cannot find love and affection for me on my terms, please find me a home that accepts and loves me just as I am.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Re: A Pet's Point of View

Why don't I ever get good emails like this? Thanks for sharing! That should be a must-read for any soon-to-be pet owner!

Thanks

Re: A Pet's Point of View

I agree Anna!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"