Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,353

1 members and 1,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,109
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
    Thanks

Fires aren't all that cool anyway...

Earlier tonight the apartment above mine caught on fire while I was taking a nap. I was not woken up by a smoke detector, instead I was woken up by the sound of water rushing into my apartment, and a strong smell of smoke. Apparently before I woke up, a rather large fire had started, run some of its course, and was almost stopped before I woke up and left my apartment. Most ironic part was that the water was pouring out of my smoke alarm which didn't go off. So I moved some snakes to get them out of the way of the downpour and I got the hell out of my building, all the while being rather freaked out that a fire was going on probably about 4 feet away from me (I have a lofted bed in a small apartment to accommodate my critters). So after waiting outside for them to put out the fire and allow us back in, I went back to move out all the living creatures, and not only is my apartment smoke saturated, but the water damage is fairly extensive. While baggin up the snakes, my ceiling in my hallway, not 3 ft from where I was standing collapsed onto the floor. I got all my animals out, but currently they're sitting in bags without water for the night, I hope they're not harmed by the smoke. The geckos are the only ones that legitimately got to keep their cages. Currently we're all staying at my friends apartment, and tomorrow morning I'll get them all set back up again, in the smallest space possible because my friend doesn't have a lot of room.
    All in all, I'm lucky that Boston FD has a good response and I woke up when I did because I'm not injured and I'm still alive, but damn was it a bad :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:ing night.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Fires aren't all that cool anyway...

That's horrible!! I'm VERY glad to hear you got out safely and that you were able to get all your animals out. But what astonishes me is not that the smoke detector didn't go off, but that the fire department didn't knock your door down to make sure no one was inside?!? Didn't anyone bang on doors to evacuate people in the same building as the fire???
    -- Judy

Thanks

I'm just glad that you are ok

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

OMG that must have been so scary for you. Im very glad you got yourself and your animals out alright.

Thanks

Wow!! What a night! Good that you and your animals got out ok. That sucks though. Good luck with getting your apartment back into shape, I hope it turns out ok for you!!
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    That's horrible!! I'm VERY glad to hear you got out safely and that you were able to get all your animals out. But what astonishes me is not that the smoke detector didn't go off, but that the fire department didn't knock your door down to make sure no one was inside?!? Didn't anyone bang on doors to evacuate people in the same building as the fire???
    there was none of that going on. I slept right through the worst part of the fire. Supposedly the guy a floor above me feel asleep smoking and his couch caught on fire, and he left and didn't tell anyone.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, everyone is still alive, if someone knows how smoke inhalation effects reptiles please let me know. The Uroplatus and the rat seem the worst for wear, and all the snakes are pissed but I'll be attending to them as soon as I can once I figure out a where I can stay. They're all sorta piled in a corner in a friends apartment because no one really has space for them and I'm homeless, so much for my quarantine. Oh well, life experience I guess, I'll be working on those problems as soon as I can.

pics of my hallway...
    my ceiling on the floor

where it should have been

the ceiling in my bedroom is bowing down from all the water, and constantly drips, so I feel like that's falling next, hopefully not on top of my while I move stuff out though.

Thanks

Wow that sucks big time! Best of luck and at least you weren't burned up.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks
    there was none of that going on. I slept right through the worst part of the fire. Supposedly the guy a floor above me feel asleep smoking and his couch caught on fire, and he left and didn't tell anyone. ...........

WTH???!??? That's just BS. It's one thing to be dumba## stupid by falling asleep smoking, but to then just LEAVE?!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they're filing charges against him and making him pay for the damages and fire response fees due to negligence!

Qik...Soooooooooo glad to hear that you were able to get out and could get your pets out safely!!!!!! It's scary being in a house fire.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Mannnn........ :eek: So glad that you and your critters are OK.
    Grey Scale is a good thing...