Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,336

2 members and 3,334 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Need help and advice quick please

I got two baby balls about three weeks ago, a male and a female. Neither would eat for me, but I finally got the female to start to eat small adult mice, whe won't take them if they're dead. The female eats fine now, but two days after eating the mouse she regurgitated it, and now she has another in her clutches, so I'm hoping she will keep this one down. The male still will not eat, so two days ago I force fed him a pinkie. Now he is acting like he has IBD, but I think that he's starving to death because I was told that the symptoms are similar. Is it possible for him to starve with food in his stomach? What should I do now? Any hlep is tremendously appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Need help and advice quick please

please check the list of local vets here:

http://arav.com/USMembers.htm

We can't tell you as well as a herp vet could.

Thanks

Thaks for the quick reply, I found one listed, now I've just got to find his number. Thanks again.

Thanks

you're welcome. I hope all works out well for you.

Where did you get your ball pythons? and can you briefly explain a little about your set up? Have you read over any care sheets to make sure they're properly housed? If not, here's a great caresheet: http://ball-pythons.net/modules.php?...warticle&id=59

Thanks

I got them from Newts Pets, and they have been great to deal with. I have the babies in a ten gallon setup with an under tank pad and red heat lamp on one side, the temp hovers aroung 90, this side has an artificail limb and a hiding hole then on the other side I have a large water dish and there is another hiding hole for them. The temps on that side are ususlly in the mid 80s. We have douglas fir bark for substrate. If you see where I'm doing anything wrong with the setup please let me know. Thanks for the assist.

Thanks

Housing them together is the main problem, and it is obviously affecting both of them negatively. They are very stressed out right now and are having to compete for space, hiding places, heat, etc.

Definitely get another 10 gallon tank or two 15qt sterilite tubs and set them up singly. Let them relax for a week or more, no handling, and make sure you are measuring their temperatures with digital thermometers/hygrometers. You also need a quality thermostat to properly control the undertank heater so it doesn't spike and burn your snakes. Each enclosure needs two identical hides, a small water bowl, and substrate. You can even fill the cages with loosely crumpled newspaper to give them additional hiding places and to just take up room.

First things first though, get them separated and properly housed.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I already seperated them, and will get the setup completed for the female done asap. I was using the digital thermometers, but not a thermostat, will add that to the list. Right now I'm just hoping that the little male will live. I'm waiting for the vet to call me back because I'm still debating on force feeding him again, but I'm afraid the stress would do more good than the feeding. Hopefully the vet will have some insight. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks

Don't forcefeed again unless the vet does it or instructs you too. Especially if he's acting sick, that is only going to mega-stress him out.

Thanks

if i read correctly your feeding baby bp's small adult mice? no wonder she regurged on you, buy small hoppers for now, small adult mice is way too big for them, after you get them eating hoppers regularly, watch to see when one hopper a week doesn't do it anymore then move up a size in mice, you'll be able to tell when 1 hopper a week isn't enough by them patroling their cage or other hungry signs before their next feed day hope this helps.
    your feeding schedule should be once a week for babies, once every 10-14 days for adults, if you can't get him to eat one week, just skip it and wait till the next week, bp's can go months without food

Thanks

They were eating small adults when I got them, and that was all that I could find to purchase, plus the female is considerably larger than the male. I thought that the mice seemed big too, but I felt that I had to try something. If the baby bps can go that long without feeding, then there is something else wrong with the male. Vet said it sounded like a bacterial infection in his digestive system, but needs a fecal sample to make sure. I found a local vet who wants me to bring him in, so he's off to the vet now. Hopefully things will be ok. Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast