Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

1 members and 3,303 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Taming my new jungle carpet

I got an near-adult jungle carpet this weekend. It was from a local breeder who apparently was changing his mind about breeding carpets (I was at the exotics store when he came in to trade it for a boa). Its about 5-6 feet long and about as big around as a 12-ounce soda can. Also, he doesn't handle his snakes so this thing isn't tame. It doesn't seem to want to bite but it is very jumpy to the touch. Unlike my BP this thing is very fast and very strong and still a bit intimidating to me. Getting it out of the enclosure is scary because once it's touched it gets very active and quickly gets into a position where it could strike you if it wanted to. So far there have been no attempts to bite but it does start huffing after being handled for a little while. This seems to be because it is trying to get away and eventually gets frusterated. Right now I've done four very small handling sessions (1 to 5 minutes) and each one has been a little longer.

I'm looking for any advice on how to work with it and accounts of similar experiences.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

Re: Taming my new jungle carpet

I would give him a good week just to acclimate to his surroundings before attempting any handling.

Thanks

So the whole "put a new snake into it's enclosure and allow it at least a week to settle in before feeding and handling" advice we always give has pretty much gone over your head Bear? What would you expect any creature to do? This is only Monday, you said you got this snake over this weekend and listed four handling attempts already. What is your rush with this snake?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I'm not handling him all the time. I'm leaving him alone for the most part and have his cage covered.

Two handlings were in the store to check him out before I bought him, one was when I got him home to move him from his tiny plastic carriers to a 20gal until his 90gal is ready. Last night I took him out to clean up poopy-doos.

So, I'm really just describing my experiences during these extremely short sessions. Since I had to take him out anyway I did't think there was much harm in letting him crawl on me for a minute or two. I put him back immediately once he showed signs of stress.

I did (and do) plan on giving him a good while to acclimate. I wanted to hear more about carpets in particular. I don't see how asking a simple question deserves hostility and negative reps.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

the one week rule is fine and dandy, but carpets don't stress like balls do so i wouldn't be worried, the more time you spend with him the better and quicker he will "accept" you, i'd handle once a day raising the time limit till he gets grumpy everytime, soon you'll have a puppy dog

Thanks

BCI's aren't known to stress as easily as ball pythons either but I think any new snake deserves that one week, hands off routine. It's only a week, what could it hurt and it certainly can help any snake, regardless of species, to de-stress and have a chance to explore it's new home without our interference.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

yea, true i can't disagree with that i always wait a week too, but to each their own

Thanks

yea, the people at the pet store did not seem to think he needed much hands-off time which is why I was asking here. I've also read on other sites that taking a fairly assertive stance with them is necessary.

Part of the problem is that I'm eager to establish at least a basic working relationship with him. Right now I'm really not comfortable sticking my hand in there to work on stuff with him in there. Even though its much more disruptive I feel alot better taking the time actually pick him up and get him out of there.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjr464
    the one week rule is fine and dandy, but carpets don't stress like balls do so i wouldn't be worried, the more time you spend with him the better and quicker he will "accept" you, i'd handle once a day raising the time limit till he gets grumpy everytime, soon you'll have a puppy dog
    He surely doesn't act anything like a ball python. BP's are scared and want to hide. This guy has a disposition more like he's really pissed and wants to know "Who the heck are you and what the heck do you think you're doing pal? Don't make me hurt you."
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bearhart
    yea, the people at the pet store did not seem to think he needed much hands-off time which is why I was asking here. I've also read on other sites that taking a fairly assertive stance with them is necessary.

Part of the problem is that I'm eager to establish at least a basic working relationship with him. Right now I'm really not comfortable sticking my hand in there to work on stuff with him in there. Even though its much more disruptive I feel alot better taking the time actually pick him up and get him out of there.
    Is it imperative to do it right away, and not give him a week to get used to his new home? What's their lifespan? Is a week really going to make that much of a difference?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast