Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

2 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

bp wont come out of hide

i just bought my baby bp 2 days ago and mbefore i brought her home i had the guy at the store feed her. by the time i got her home she had just started to eat the mouse. i stayed and watched to see what ahe would do after completely eating the mouse but she didnt move out of the box i brought her home in (i just opened the box and placed it in the encloser so i wouldnt disturb her while eating). after a while i had to go to work. when i came home a few hours later she had gone into a hide on the colder side of the tank and hasnt moved from there since. shes been moving around inside the hide but still has yet to come out and explore her new home. is this normal because i really want her to come out so i can start handling her.

thanks

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: bp wont come out of hide

*blinks*

Wait. What?! You carried the snake home....while it was still eating?!

*Loss for words...*

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

It might be a good idea to hang off on the handling for a little bit to let her settle in to her new home.

We normally recomend 48 hours after eating without handling but also its best to not handle for at least a week in a new tank so she gets relaxed and comfortable and, if possible, avoid handling till she has eaten 3 times in a row so you know she is fully settled.

I'm a little curious about getting the people in the shop to feed her but that she "had just started to eat the mouse" when you got home, could you explain this in a bit more detail as it sounds a bit odd to me.

Check out our caresheet and the glass tank setup sticky and let us know what questions they bring up.

Oh and we like pics so don't be worried about posting pics of your set up and, once she is all settled and eating well, plenty of pics of your little girl would also be appreciated.

dr del
    Last edited by dr del; 07-15-2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

If it would was a good size meal, you wont see your bp for a few days. I would wait for a few sucessfull feedings before you begin to handle. This will aid your bp in getting use to its new home. Check out the caresheet from the post above and make sure your temps and humidity are good. I would post a pic of your setup so more exp members can assist you in providing the best care/home for your new bp.
    RIP Scout 4-5

Thanks

how exactly do i post pictures without including a link to another website? i took a few pictures but im not sure how to get them on a thread

Thanks

Hi,

You can post links to other websites such as your own or a hosting service like photobucket or similar as pictures and even to other peoples pictures on other sites as long as, in that case, you use links not pics and give full credit to the original source etc.

we have a couple of tuorials that will help you post your picture on here as well. It's easier if you resize the pictures to 800 x 600 pixels if possible then upload them to your galery on this site.

You can upload larger pictures if you wish but as you cannot post larger than 800 x 600 in threads and it saves you gallery space I stick to smaller ones myself.

Tutorial 1 - video tutorial

tutorial 2

hope some of this helps.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

heres some pictures. the temps are:

hot spot: 88.4 right now. ranges in teh upper 80's (i try to keep it a little lower becuse the hide in the hot spot can get over 95 degrees)

cold spot: 80.8

humidity: ranges alot... i try to keep it around 50% but i work alot so when i come home i mist the entire cage to bring it up to where it needs to be

alice 1

alice 2

hot spot

tank

i know the tanks a bit big but im still in the process of filling it up.. i just wanted to keep it kinda simple untill i can relax from keeping an eye on her and the habitat as much

Thanks

Hi,

Yeah it is a little big for comfort but there are a few quick things you could do to try and help a bit.

I would put some form or backing over the back and two sides of the tank to increase security - you can get special pretty ones from pet shops but kraft paper would work just as well from the snakes point of view.

Did you check out the lid on the glass tank sticky? that might help with your humidity a bit.

And you never told us about the eating thing - cos, no offense, but that's just wierd and I'd like to know what the shop thought they were doing and what the procedure was.

dr del
    Derek

Thanks

yeah i plan on puting some type of background in tomorow and then working on the screen lid with some type of insulation.

i agree it did seem kind of weird how he just fed it, put in in an enclosure and had me take it home... i made sure not to mess around with the box and keep it as stable as possible in the car ride home but the owner of the shop has an albino boa and from what i percieved he seemed like he knew what he was doing( he was the only pet store around that even knew the sex of the snakes they had). could that have to do with why she hasnt left the hide at all or should i not be concerned with how shy she is being.

thanks for all your help

Thanks

i would just like to throw in something.

a ball python is a very shy snake, and they spend 90% of the day in their hides, only coming out a little bit at night. every snake is different, but most of the time you tank is going to look empty
    -Kevin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast