Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

1 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Bad shed and feeding

Ok, here's a good reason why you SHOULD lift the hide to check on your snake every now and then while doing daily chores. I thought it best to just leave her be...

My silly little girl snuck a shed in on me. Didn't even know she was going to shed cause I only really see her at night. I was planning on changing her substrate and giving her a humid hide before she shed...but she beat me to it with the humidity at 43-47% unless I misted (which I do twice a day).
    So, now I have to refer to the great 'Bad Shed' sticky and soak the little one this morning. Thing is, she's due to be fed tomorrow evening. So: Will it still be ok to feed her tomorrow after messing with her today?
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Re: Bad shed and feeding

I don't see any reason that you shouldn't feed the evening after a soak.... BUT, I do know that some BP's are hypersensitive to being handled the day of feeding and will refuse a meal. *one of their rights of being a BP * Just depends on the individual snake... If your concerned, could you feed the next day?
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

I would probably be able to shift the day, but would that put off my schedule from then on?

Also, I just put her into the container with nice warm water and a cloth. Is it usual for them to keep trying to find a way out? Nagini really doesn't like being anywhere there's not a hide.

Thanks

Ok, a 90% successful soak! I ran her through the cloth a few times and got everything but the skin on her neck and top of her head (since I couldn't touch that part). It was starting to loosen, but she was getting antsy, so I put her back home with a bigger ceramic bowl and a good misting. I hope she'll get the other pieces off herself, but if she doesn't...what then? I can't put the wet cloth around her neck or head.

Thanks

as long as her eyecaps have comeoff successfully, you can leave the little bits till the next shed, as for feeding, if you have to miss a feed just skip the week and try again on her feeding day the next week

Thanks

Since her eyes look clear, and she seemed to know where she was going, I'm pretty sure the caps are off. I think it's just a piece on the back of her head and the stuff on her neck left.

Thanks for the answer, I'm glad I don't have to soak her again tomorrow...she didn't really like it. Hopefully she'll eat but if she doesn't I'll just wait and she'll be nice and hungry for next time.

Thanks

I know the first shed I had with my girl she had a piece stuck on her jaw for a while. She just worked it off herself eventually. As long as its not something that can cause problems, such as the end of the tail not coming off which can result in loss of circulation, then just let it happen on its own.